Acclimation

Help Support CattleToday:

The first link was unavailable...but I think I will stop using CSM if there is any doubt, just to be safe. Thanks for the posts.

Never mind the first part...i found it...lol thanks for the link :cboy:

watso059":49m6b67l said:
The first link was unavailable...but I think I will stop using CSM if there is any doubt, just to be safe. Thanks for the posts.

The first link was supposed to take you to the "bull management" publication but apparently it quit working properly.

milesvb":140loaju said:
watso059":140loaju said:

The first link was supposed to take you to the "bull management" publication but apparently it quit working properly.

It's just been rerouted sort of. This link will take you there I think

http://tcebookstore.org/pubinfo.cfm?pubid=833

Here's a quote from BULL NUTRITION AND MANAGEMENT,Stephen Boyles,Ohio State University

COTTONSEED PRODUCTS AND BULL FERTILITY: Gossypol is a naturally occurring substance found in the pigment glands of cottonseed that can be toxic (Lusby et al., 1991). Whole cottonseed has a significantly higher level of free gossypol than meal or hulls. Concern about feeding gossypol-containing products to bulls arose when Chinese researches discovered that gossypol is a potent male contraceptive in humans.

Gossypol appears to be more damaging to reproductive function in young males near puberty than to older, mature males. Studies where bull fertility has been hindered have involved feeding cottonseed products at high levels and/or for long periods of time (Chase et al., 1989).

In routine feeding practices, the use of 3-5 lbs of cottonseed meal is most unlikely to expose the breeding animals to the levels of gossypol needed to cause reproductive problems (Martin, 1990).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":35850q5u said:
Sorry, guys/gals, I was referring to whole cottonseed, don't know anything about cs meal. We normally feed wcs in our ration, and I know we pulled it out when we were raising Macho, our bull.

We've never used WCS and use only a little bit of CSM. I just do not want him to go down too much. I am sure he will some, but if we can get him used to our pasture conditions and feed him along, I am hoping he will acclimate well. But, I'll have to change the feed plan. Though I do not think we use enough CSM to hurt him, I'd rather be safe than sorry. The bull we just got rid of had apparently been falling behind on his duties and he was only about 2 (he wasn't that good, so we got a nice reg. bull to help our program along :cboy:) . Maybe the CSM had an effect...who knows. Do any of you know what is in Kow Katcher? It may be different per area or something, I am not sure. I think it has the ingredients on the bag, but I'll have to check it when I get back home. Since we're not using CSM now, I have to find something else to mix with the corn. :roll: Thanks for the helpful posts all.

watso059":364a9qll said:
Since we're not using CSM now, I have to find something else to mix with the corn. :roll: Thanks for the helpful posts all.

Maybe corn gluten pellets?

dun

Latest posts