Absentee bidding

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
I need a calving ease bull to breed replacements. In the past, I've always purchased bulls in person at local seedstock sales, but I thought that it'd be cool to buy this bull from one of the big-name operations out west. I won't be able to attend the sale that I'm interested in, but have spoke with the owner and relayed my requirements and budget. He agreed to bid on the best bulls that fit what I'm looking for. Has anyone else bought cattle this way, and were you happy with the results?

I would suggest being on the phone or online to bid and not letting the owner know your limit. Sometimes that makes the animal bring almost exactly what your limit is. I have bought over the phone with good success but I done a lot of research before bidding.

I hear what your saying KT, but I'll probably save $ this way--I have a tendency to go insane at auctions and forget all about my "budget".. then I have to explain to the boss at home why I spent 3 times more than I said I would...

kenny thomas":mj356dhy said:
I would suggest being on the phone or online to bid and not letting the owner know your limit. Sometimes that makes the animal bring almost exactly what your limit is. I have bought over the phone with good success but I done a lot of research before bidding.
:nod: If they know your limit, they animal usually brings at least that. I've had good luck bidding over the phone except for one time. The lady I was giving my bids to's daughter was bidding on the same animal, she "missed" my last bid and magically her daughter got it. :roll:

I bought one by absentee, I did not put my bid in with the owners. A friend on mine that is a big cattle auctioneer knew the sales manager, he looked at the bull and others. Gave him a max bid and got him for a little under that.They told me they would deliver, if I did not like the bull they would turn around and leave. Did not pay until delivery. Now to see how his calves turn out when they start hitting the ground.

i have done it also with good success,will they have the sale on video??you can bid on line sometimes that way also,i bought my last bull that way

I ahve bought via video auctions/bidding and have had some one disinterested bid for me via the phone. The one time I tried giving my maximum bid to the auctioneer that was what it opened at.

I purchased several bulls every year for our customers this way. No body but me knows what the amount they give me is. If you aren't honest with them, they won't buy again. Their has been times when I have been exactly on the given amount, sometimes a thousand under, and even once in a while 250 more as sometimes they tell me if it will take 1 more bid to get him, go ahead and do it.

You just need to know if the guy is honest, and if he is, then their won't be a problem.

My Dad buys numerous bulls for several customers this way every year out of our sale. Exactly as BRG says just know the people you are dealing with. My dad bids and buys em as if hes sitting in the seats buying them for himself. Same way as BRG, has bought em exactly for what they give him, a thousand under, and even 250 more. And fully guarantee em at delivery or you dont own em!

Latest posts