ABS Genetic Manager

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
I am interested in experimenting with the ABS Genetic Manager tool for AI sire selection (assuming I can figure out why I cannot get it to work on my computer). Does anyone have any experience with this tool?

Thanks!

I went to their website and looked at what they had available. It appears that the download at their website is for an "update" to the program. Further down on the same page they make the comment that if you want to use it you should contact one of their reps. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to purchase the program from them first. Then you could install the updates to it for free from their website.

Does it sort all bulls or just ABS bulls? Have you looked into Casey Worrell's program, it has a more in depth analysis, and allows for more than just one stud's bulls.

I emailed them and below is their reply.

Doug,

The download on the web page is only the update to Genetic Manager. The actual program I will need to send to you and you will need to install it on your computer. If you send me your address I will be happy to do that. There is no charge for the program.

Thanks

Barb Junge

ABS Global

Beef Department Support

[email protected]

1.800.356.5331 ext # 6312

608.846.6459 fax

Thanks all. I contacted ABS and got the same response from Barb. But they also said I will have to call them for a release code once I install the program. I received the program last night but have not had a chance to load it yet.

I have not looked into Casey Worrell's program, but will to see how they compare.

Thanks!

I finally got the software loaded, cow herd database loaded with specific mating criteria for each cow, and the bull database loaded with specific criteria (mostly acc.). The below bulls show up as 1st thru 4th choice on all cows. Are there any of these that you would not use? Or do you have a favorite?

Strategy
Directive
Lead On
Coalition

Thanks!

Not saying that those are bad bulls at all, but these computer programs will not tell you that this individual cow may need more length or thickness or improved foot structure. The numbers may say one thing, but in reality, you could screw your herd up on a numbers only based program like these.

BA":1xlwc7hm said:
Not saying that those are bad bulls at all, but these computer programs will not tell you that this individual cow may need more length or thickness or improved foot structure. The numbers may say one thing, but in reality, you could screw your herd up on a numbers only based program like these.

does the program use the GTS data or ask about cow types?

Yes, the program uses the ABS GTS. For the cows you can specify your mating criteria to include such things as:
Reduce Birth Weight, Increase Weaning Weight, Increase Milk, Reduce Fat, Increase %Retal Product, Increase/Reduce Stature, Increase Capacity, Body Length, Muscle, Straighten Rear Legs, Improve Utter, Incrase Feminiity, and others. You can have the program do various auto or manual weigthing of these traits.

In my application, I evaluated each cow's phenotype and her EPD's and used the Manual Trait Weighting option to select what I wanted to improve on a particular cow. Seems like a reasonable tool to me. Biggest limitation is the availability of the GTS for non ABS bulls; however you can add bulls using your own evaluation.

Latest posts