About to buy a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death :deadhorse: but here it is again.
Buying used around 50k miles.
3/4 ton vs 1 ton?
Dually vs non
Diesel vs gas

I have a 20ft cattle trailer trailer that I pull 6 times a year. I also have a 20ft gooseneck flatbed that is 7k pounds empty.

I'm not doing alot of hauling now but I really expect to haul more in the future.
So, if you want to keep a truck for 10yrs what's a good one.
Got to be Ford or Chevy, there is not a Dodge dealer anywhere close to here.

Ok I'll bite.
Ford because I like em, they didn't take any bailout money.
Dually because a 20 ft livestock trailer can get to movin on you and a dully will be more stable.
Diesel because it can take the abuse.

I have a 2008 chevy dually with the duramax its a real strong truck. if i had it to do again I'd get the gas engine with the alllison trans. i use mine about like you are saying i get 14mpg i think the gas engine would be real close to that, mine just sits most of the time. With all the filters and higher cost of fuel and just cost of the engine the gas may be cheaper to opperate. I would go with the dually i think there a lot more stable than the 3/4

And I'll continue to stick w/ Dodge diesel. I agree that if you're hauling big loads a dually is probably the way to go. I traded an 02 Dodge dually in for the 06 not-dually purchased new, because duals can be a pain in the rear in the winter on ice.

personaly for me it would be dodge diesel dually but since that won't work this is what i can seggust. i am not completly closed minded to any of the three but for me it would be chevy my dad has a 2007 2500hd 4x4 auto with the 6.0 vortec 200.000 plus miles and has done nothing exept change the oil's and plugs and wires it pulls twelve thousand pounds fairly often and handels it fine it would be fine with your 20 foot trailer and a full load but i don't know what kind of loads you hual on your flatbed. so for what you are doing i would want a chevy diesel dually if you are wanting a older one anyway you might look at somthing pre 07 but wouldn't have to be. on fords you don't want a 6.0 diesel and i don't have one but what i hear about the newer ford diesels is that they are the worst on fuel than any of the three. hope this helps some

I know you are getting a lot of different opinions but , I would look for a good Ford (99-03) 7.3 diesel. I have four 7.3's (F-350 with 470,000 miles, F-350 4X4 with 270,000 miles, Excursion with 260,000 miles, and Excursion 4X4 with 178,000 miles) with the exception of the camshaft sensor which was recalled and replaced, I have never had a problem with any of them.

The problem you might have is finding one with low mileage and they are still pricey.

I have a 2009 Dodge diesel 2500 single wheel. I pull a 20'x7' alumin. all the time no problem. Why spend the extra money on tires, not to mention some duallys you have to pull the axle to turn rotors or drum. :2cents:

TennesseeTuxedo":1pgj1gpz said:
I'm a Ford man too but it doesn't sound like you're going to be hauling often enough to justify a dally or a diesel.

My situatuation will be similar to yours and I'm leaning towards an extended cab F-250.

Hey,
Where's your buddy TN Cattle? Haven't seen a post from him in a while.

I would say Dodge for the simple fact that I think Dodge is the only brand that still offers a manual trans. If you are pulling everyday then go diesel. If every 6 weeks to 2 months and it sits the rest of the time then gas. Dually and 4wd. :2cents:

If the truck is a full time driver I would go single wheel diesel. Maintenance costs more on a diesel but if you do it yourself your about the same price as having your service done at a shop for a gas engine. If you drive much the additional miles per gallon will weigh out too. My Dodge diesel now sits but maybe 2 days a month since I got a gas getter recently. I like the diesel as when I want to tow a load I want to get down the road. I love the power and torque of a diesel motor. I'd get a Dodge first but since that isn't an option do the research on the specific year of the motor you are buying. Had a buddy I warned twice not to buy a 04 Ford Powerstroke and within a week he was spending $2500. Another buddy has probably the same money in his 03 Duramax on 2 issues that are very common to that year motor. All brands have good and bad years it seems. Good luck.

Shaz, just checking in on this post again. Why is Dodge out for you, just because there isn't a nearby dealer? You may be able to find a private seller, or one that's been out on lease and returned (the 02 1-ton Dodge dually I had before was a lease return, with only 25K miles on it). My Dodge isn't a daily driver, but when I need to haul something or do a road trip, that's my rig. And it's a manual tranny. Just punched 50K miles on it. I love it! Works like a truck; drives like a sports car.

Whatever you decide(dodge,manuel :nod: ) If you have the option of getting the diesel exhaust fluid over the diesel cleaned exhaust model, go with the def.
I was reluctant to go that way but it was the only choice on the truck that I needed... and I love it. I don't like buying the fluid but that's more about dealing with the idiots at Autozone than the additional cost. I'm driving a one ton that's heavier than any of my other trucks have been and I get better milage and it always runs the same. I spend alot of time off the road and all of my other trucks have had problems with keeping the exaust clean and so my milage just flat sucked. I don't get that anymore and I have all of my power all of the time.

cow pollinater":285q7ge7 said:
Whatever you decide(dodge,manuel :nod: ) If you have the option of getting the diesel exhaust fluid over the diesel cleaned exhaust model, go with the def.
I was reluctant to go that way but it was the only choice on the truck that I needed... and I love it. I don't like buying the fluid but that's more about dealing with the idiots at Autozone than the additional cost. I'm driving a one ton that's heavier than any of my other trucks have been and I get better milage and it always runs the same. I spend alot of time off the road and all of my other trucks have had problems with keeping the exaust clean and so my milage just flat sucked. I don't get that anymore and I have all of my power all of the time.
Hmmmm, CP . . . ? Guess I better check and see what's what on mine.

if it was up to me, and you where only using it to pull, i would buy a 5.9 cummins dodge dually. They have a bullet proof motor and a solid front axle that would give years of trouble free use. My next choice would be ford, but stay away from anything with a 6.o litre diesel, as they spent more time in the shop than on the road. the 6.4 litre fords ran great but were hard on fuel. Throw on a dpf delete kit and a chip, and you wont have any problems. Last but not least, id buy a chev. They are built the lightest, decent on fuel, but if you take them off the highway, you might as well be driving a mini van. They pull good but have no ground clearance, have alot of rattles in the dash in very little time, and the dust in the cab is worse than riding on the back bumper while travelling back roads. Hope this helps.

Yeah, Dodge is really popular around here but there isn't a dealer closeby. That's why I ruled Dodge out.

Latest posts