"A Tremendous Machine"

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm a big horse racing fan, have been for years, although I don't bet much if any. Best race horse ever. I watched the Derby today and always seem to drift to YouTube and view his triple crown victories, have seen them many times. Secreteriat still holds track records for the derby and the Belmont stakes, he ran 39 years ago. Great horse none other ever came close to. Thanks Van, great post.

Alan

VanC":246jn0wg said:
Ryder":246jn0wg said:
Good post Van.

I've always been fascinated by Secretariat. I won't beat it into the ground, but watch the move he makes at the first turn in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV89InWOENc

He still gives me chills. The cool part of that race was he ran like that and Turcotte was just hand riding him. He never touched him with the whip!

I always wished they would have bred some Quarter mares with him. Maybe some Three bars, Jet Deck or even some Leo mares!

heath":2yp2lggo said:
three bars was a thoroughbred, so you would have just gotten fullblood throroughbreds.

I said Quarter mares. Three Bars sired hundreds of registered Quarter Horse mares.

We owned a grandson named Triple Chic that was 7/8 thorobred that was registered as a quarterhorse with permanent papers after he earned a ROM racing.

Bads news is he died 3 months after the ROM from Distemper. Darned near broke my Dad's heart!

3waycross":2fg16asq said:
VanC":2fg16asq said:
Ryder":2fg16asq said:
Good post Van.

I've always been fascinated by Secretariat. I won't beat it into the ground, but watch the move he makes at the first turn in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV89InWOENc

He still gives me chills. The cool part of that race was he ran like that and Turcotte was just hand riding him. He never touched him with the whip!

I always wished they would have bred some Quarter mares with him. Maybe some Three bars, Jet Deck or even some Leo mares!

Three Bars sure had a huge influence on the Quarter Horse breed. I really never thought about Secretariat breeding QH's, but he may have made a difference, I don't think he did a whole lot as a TB stud although he sired over 600 foals. I agree some Three Bar mares would have been interesting to see what would have happened.

BTW, I have a pretty decent QH Stud that goes back to Three bars twice, through the mare (on the bottom side) with Triple Image through Triple Chick. On top side through Zippo Pine Bars, Zippo Pat Bar, not to far back in the pedigree, so Three Bars has a special place in my heart because of my horse.

BTW, I have a pretty decent QH Stud that goes back to Three bars twice, through the mare (on the bottom side) with Triple Image through Triple Chick. On top side through Zippo Pine Bars, Zippo Pat Bar, not to far back in the pedigree, so Three Bars has a special place in my heart because of my horse.[/quote]

Me too. :tiphat: Three Bars and Leo. Best brood mares we ever owned were Dtrs or Gr Dtrs of Leo. When I was on the track we had a Gr son out of Leo Tom in our stable. Horniest horse I ever saw. If there was a mare in the same race he would try to breed her in the saddling paddock! I remember telling my buddy I will be glad to go home in August and leave that stud here. The following spring my Dad bought him.(without his nuts) he was a much better horse after that!

If you can, post a pic of him Alan!

Vic & Alan: I've seen varying reports on Secretariat's stud fees but the amount I've seen the most is 300K with a guaranteed live foal. Don't know anything about quarter horses but maybe it just wasn't viable to breed to him. You guys would know a lot more about that than I ever will.

He became known as a pretty good brood mare sire. I guess the offspring out of his daughters did better overall than his direct offspring. Again, you guys would know more about that than me.

By the way, if you have an extra 40 min handy, and you haven't seen this, it's pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuEoiYiqZw

Thanks for the link Van, that's one I haven't seen, but will in the next couple f mornings with a cup of coffee. He was a great horse and may never be equaled, that Belmont race was just unbelievable. Not admitting my age but I did watch it live on T.V. :(

Here's a couple of pics of my horse, always happy to talk about J. D. I own his dam also, she was AI'd to his sire and born on my place. He is currently 5 yrs. I don't have a recent pic but here's a couple I like. For any that know some QH lines, He's a Zip Chocolate Chip son out of a Kay Cee Leaguer daughter.

First day out of foaling stall, abut a week old.
IMG_0333.jpg

As a two year of (the teenage years)
IMG_0844.jpg

Thanks for asking 3way, check your PM box

Alan

VanC":1tb1iiib said:
Vic & Alan: I've seen varying reports on Secretariat's stud fees but the amount I've seen the most is 300K with a guaranteed live foal. Don't know anything about quarter horses but maybe it just wasn't viable to breed to him. You guys would know a lot more about that than I ever will.

He became known as a pretty good brood mare sire. I guess the offspring out of his daughters did better overall than his direct offspring. Again, you guys would know more about that than me.

By the way, if you have an extra 40 min handy, and you haven't seen this, it's pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuEoiYiqZw

Pretty sure his fee was $125,000. Still a lot of money!. Thanks for the link. I am not too proud to say there were tears in my eye a couple times when I watched it!

Alan":2rx0zonj said:
I don't think he did a whole lot as a TB stud although he sired over 600 foals. I agree some Three Bar mares would have been interesting to see what would have happened.

Alan he was the ultimate in matings. The peak of the mountain so to speak. Any offspring of his would necessarily have to be less than him and their record pretty much proves it. On the QH side it may have been a totally different story. Either way he was one of a kind.

The history of "Big Red" is far from over. Red inherited a huge heart from his mother who got it from her father. Secretariat like his grandfather was able to pass on this large heart size trait to sons, but he could to daughters. The vet that did his post after death said his heart was 2 and a 1/2 half times larger than that of a normal racehorse. I to wondered what it would have been to put Red on a Doc Bar daughter...

houstoncutter":rfnguv5i said:
ooops I meant to say unable to pass on the heart size to sons

Yes. I have no idea how it works but I read that the large heart gene can only be passed on from father to daughter or from mother to son. I think.

That is my understanding as well Van C.....A horse built like he was, and with a oversized healthy heart, that is a real advantage in a horse race. I really dont care for most of the racehorses now, most of em are just to frail for my likes

Latest posts