A somewhat stupid question

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's our schenario. We run 1 bull. Our only option to get rid of him when we need to replace him is the local salebarn. We aren't going to get diddly for him for several reasons. People often say an animal is at a salebarn for a reason and it ain't a good reason so they don't bid. People also worry about what disease they could be bringing home with that bull so they don't bid. There is no way of knowing what kind of calf he throws like birthweights, calving difficulties,etc. so people don't bid. Steer markets pay better than bull markets so we could bring home more money if we cut him first. We choose not to mess with cutting him and healing him up and taking the risk of something going wrong so we sell them intact. So the main reason for cutting them would be more money.

Farmhand":2o6jr0rf said:
Here's our schenario. We run 1 bull. Our only option to get rid of him when we need to replace him is the local salebarn. We aren't going to get diddly for him for several reasons. People often say an animal is at a salebarn for a reason and it ain't a good reason so they don't bid. People also worry about what disease they could be bringing home with that bull so they don't bid. There is no way of knowing what kind of calf he throws like birthweights, calving difficulties,etc. so people don't bid. Steer markets pay better than bull markets so we could bring home more money if we cut him first. We choose not to mess with cutting him and healing him up and taking the risk of something going wrong so we sell them intact. So the main reason for cutting them would be more money.
thats true with a lot of cull cows, but one of the best bulls i ever owned came in the salebarn one day with two of his brothers. a diamond wish i had him back many times.but i had rather buy from a breeder next time you take a good bull too the salebarn take your papers and get with the owner or auctioneer and get em to talk him up

ALACOWMAN":3cla7tg5 said:
Farmhand":3cla7tg5 said:
thats true with a lot of cull cows, but one of the best bulls i ever owned came in the salebarn one day with two of his brothers. a diamond wish i had him back many times.but i had rather buy from a breeder next time you take a good bull too the salebarn take your papers and get with the owner or auctioneer and get em to talk him up

Heck, just trade him.

People buying hay got looks at my brangus bull. Three people have proposed trading bulls with me when the time comes. One is very serious about it. He's got a beefmaster with paper. I am going to look at this year's calves that come out of him.

backhoeboogie":2emv9y1l said:
ALACOWMAN":2emv9y1l said:
Farmhand":2emv9y1l said:

Heck, just trade him.

People buying hay got looks at my brangus bull. Three people have proposed trading bulls with me when the time comes. One is very serious about it. He's got a beefmaster with paper. I am going to look at this year's calves that come out of him.
Ive tradeds bull's myself works good for both involved .but trading down from a brangus too a beefmaster... id ask for boot ;-)

Here is what I do, since I have no idea what I am doing.

When I wean the calves, I have three people I trust come over and look at what bull calves I have. Based on their feed back I will ship off to test station, or castrate and sell halves on retail basis. So far, I have sent two off to test station. Each year I get closer to seeing what they see.

Either way, I make a few bucks.

We castrate three different times prior to weaning.
First, the day they are born (or next) IF they are too heavy birthweight, horned (yes you can feed the nubs), or diluted grey color.
2nd time is at spring work up in April. Anything showing poor growth, structure problems, "ugly", etc.
3rd fall work up prior to weaning. Pick out only the very best, and cut the rest. Remember, a good bull makes a GREAT STEER!

Jeremy14":8gftp7l6 said:
How much time needs to pass after the bday of the bull calf before it is possible to make a decision on castrating the calf or not?

Can most of you tell well before weaning?

The vast majority of our bull calves were castrated at branding (apprx a month following birth). Of the ones left intact, one or two would usually be castrated at fall work-up following weaning. The final cut (no pun intended) was made sometime the following spring after it warmed up a bit, but before flies became a problem.

Latest posts