a question about horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

cedarview farms

Reaction score
How many pounds can a horse eat in a day? and can u let a horse just eat grass and hay, or do you have to buy bags of feed?

cedarview farms":1pw6j4tt said:
How many pounds can a horse eat in a day? and can u let a horse just eat grass and hay, or do you have to buy bags of feed?

Do not know how much a horse eats - size matters - environment matters - work load matters - just like people.

We have all our horses - three remaining - on pasture. That is all they get. Last winter they lived outside on hay - in fact they live outside year round - and get nothing extra and do very well. We put out a round bale and when they are done we put out another.

It depends on the animal

And on the owner

Horse people are the worst for treating their animals better than their kids

Look at the horse - if it is fat and sassy why give it more?

If it is failing - feed it.

Cheapest thing about a horse is the purchase price

There ya' go.

Best of luck - I am sure there are many experts here who will give you stellar advice - but they are truly capable of doing well if there is feed on the ground and bush for shelter.

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":y7uha08c said:
I have seen that with some, but not all horse people are like that. Thank you very much. :tiphat:

Cedarview,

You can let your horse eat hay but if the hay is has no nutritional value then you're not doing any good. "A horse needs 2-2.5% of his body weight per day (20 to 25 pounds per 1,000-pound horse)." That's without grain, 1% if the horse is getting grain.

Much depends on your horse too. I have an easy keeper; he gains weight just looking at hay. I feed him less than my other horse to keep him healthy. In the summer, I feed one flake of costal in the morning and let them graze day and night. In the winter, I feed a flake in the morning and a flake in the evening with grain. Horses need lots of water too. I smell everything I feed my horses, tossing a little bit of bad hay or feed is cheaper than the vet bill when a horse colic.

Can you give more information about your horse, age, is it a working horse, or just grazig. And where you will be keeping the horse?

Just_a_girl":6n9ta63a said:
Bez+":6n9ta63a said:
I have seen that with some, but not all horse people are like that. Thank you very much. :tiphat:

:D

I have seen it far more often than you can imagine - your response simply confirms and proves my point.

Oversensitivity to a general statement usually means the response is close to home

8) 8)

Have a great day,

Bez+

cedarview farms":3oyoywki said:

That is going to depend on the horse, what you are doing with him(if anything), whether he is an easy keeper or a hard keeper, what you are feeding him, where you are keeping him, whether he is coming into contact with other horses and their state of health, and how you are dealing with other health issues - such as deworming. If you watch a horse eat, they are grazers in that they take a mouthful, walk several steps, take another mouthful, etc. All of that walking limits how much they actually eat. Our horses received roughly 20 lbs of good quality grass hay/day. When we were on the ranch, and they are being worked hard(25-50 miles of riding/working cattle per day) on a daily/every other day basis, the grass hay was swapped out for alfalfa, and they also received 1-2 3 lb coffee cans of rolled oats on the days they were being worked. They were wormed twice a year, and the wormer was rotated to make sure that all worms were controlled. They rarely came into contact with any horses other than our own, and they were pastured on good grass the days they were not being worked. Hard keepers have a problem putting on weight by definition, and they will require a bit more hay/higher quality hay, maybe a little grain or soaked beet pulp even if they are not being worked, and will probably also require closer attention to worming. We never, ever fed sweet feed because it was cost prohibitive, and didn't do anymore than the rolled oats or wheat. We also never fed corn, because it is a 'hot' feed and tends to lead to problems if the horse is not being worked on a very regular basis.

msscamp":1r8xdo6c said:
cedarview farms":1r8xdo6c said:

That is going to depend on the horse, what you are doing with him(if anything), whether he is an easy keeper or a hard keeper, what you are feeding him, where you are keeping him, whether he is coming into contact with other horses and their state of health, and how you are dealing with other health issues - such as deworming. If you watch a horse eat, they are grazers in that they take a mouthful, walk several steps, take another mouthful, etc. All of that walking limits how much they actually eat. Our horses received roughly 20 lbs of good quality grass hay/day. When we were on the ranch, and they are being worked hard(25-50 miles of riding/working cattle per day) on a daily/every other day basis, the grass hay was swapped out for alfalfa, and they also received 1-2 3 lb coffee cans of rolled oats on the days they were being worked. They were wormed twice a year, and the wormer was rotated to make sure that all worms were controlled. They rarely came into contact with any horses other than our own, and they were pastured on good grass the days they were not being worked. Hard keepers have a problem putting on weight by definition, and they will require a bit more hay/higher quality hay, maybe a little grain or soaked beet pulp even if they are not being worked, and will probably also require closer attention to worming. We never, ever fed sweet feed because it was cost prohibitive, and didn't do anymore than the rolled oats or wheat. We also never fed corn, because it is a 'hot' feed and tends to lead to problems if the horse is not being worked on a very regular basis.
Very Sound Advice!! :tiphat:

Latest posts