A leap of faith...sort of

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Don't know if you remember or not me asking for advice on quitting my day job or not. It has been a question on our minds and hearts for two years. Should I , can we manage, the stress of all i do, my health, etc. Welll...

...It started as a big leap of faith, then downturned to a smaller leap. But for me still a leap
As y'all know Rockridge is a cattle producer, beekeeper (bees and honey production my thing, with hubby's help as needed when needed) , salesperson (the honey and candles and travelling to shows) and a regular route school bus driver.
My leap of faith started with me quitting my day job...the bus, but remaining a spare driver. That did not sit well with me. It was giving up more control than i was willing to. For those who know me, know i believe in God, and by quitting my route i was leaving in His control to supply our needs with the farm. He has never failed us, always been able to meet the bills. Now the fleece has been put out.
Giving up my route was an unsettling thing to give up. So I did the next thing. I took a six month leave of absence. If we can make it the next six months without a guaranteed income, great, if not, it is not what it He wants for our life, and i still have a job to go back to. Taking this leave gave me a sense of relief, and some security if it goes south. It has been a hard year with the flooding , bad roads, loss of bees, and so much more. The kids go back to school Sept 7th. I was under so much pressure to get so much work done before i go back. That, and my route increases by 60-70 km a day, or a hour a day. I already do 221km a day. My boss was really good about it and the leave goes before the school board at the next meeting.
I have a job to go back to in March if we need it.
I acutally made pickles today, cleaned house yesterday, froze some veggies yesterday. This might seem small to most, but it's things i was unable to do because of the bees and the bus, I tried, I planted, but life just got in the way. I enjoy these simple things sometimes. The farm the bus came first, the house management and such came last. Taking this leave feels good, it feels right. Praying it works out, if it does not, then we will have to look at other changes.
Lunch is now finished, so off to the extraction room to extract.
This feels right! Crazy eh? (yes i am Canadian)

Sounds like you still have your hands full..where there's a will there's a way. I think you'll be just fine

It gets a little spooky when you start thinking about your family living on farm income,doesn't it? Most people can't imagine a life where they work (in some crops) for an entire year and only at the end of that year do they find out how much their time was worth and even then there is no direct comparison between how hard they worked and what they recieve... It's SOOO much easier to convince yourself to slave away for someone else eight hours a day and collect that check rain or shine when your head is full of "what if's".
But... with risk comes reward and keep telling yourself that if you can make it work after the way things have gone this last year, then you can definately do it when times are good and you're right there hands on with the stuff that you want to be doing.
Not to speak of your marriage as I don't know you or your husband in person, but things got alot better around here when my wife began trusting in me and what I've built instead of choosing the security of a paycheck that she had control over.
Go for it and don't look back. Keep us posted. :clap:

So does this mean that you might get to sleep in till 7 am once and a while RR :lol:

Congratulations on a very tough decision . :D

Latest posts