A-I Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I want to know what some of you would recommend for breeding a first time heifer to that would throw a dark red calf?

The heifer is dark red and I plan to A-I her this coming year around end of may.Any suggetions? Polled or horned is ok.But want to stick to hereford and not crossbreed her. JHH

We use SHF progress p20, and are thinking about trying SHF pheonix on some of our heifers

ilfarmer92":l9j9sae8 said:
For a first calf heifer I would use "Frank". You can learn more about him here: http://www.efbeef.com/EF_HerdSires/EF_F ... k_P230.htm
His calves are dark, and he's got some good stats. I think his semen is at 30 a straw and 40 or 50 on certificates.

I dont think I will breed her to him. She is out of a 745 son already. GERBER LARIAT 093L

Sorry I should have posted her breeding.

She is out of the GERBER LARIAT 093L and TSE FOXY PRIDE 842F is the dam. On the dams side she goes back to TRM CCF PRIDE.

JHH

What about KT Top Secret 1030, he is a very good bull with great EPDs and is starting to make a great influence in the Hereford breed. I would give him a shot.

JHH":3252ctw0 said:
I want to know what some of you would recommend for breeding a first time heifer to that would throw a dark red calf?

Single trait selection will kick your behind. Watch yourself.

I'm no expert but it seems like a lot of polled bulls throw dark haired cattle if the cow is also polled. Am I wrong. We have cold winters too, does that make a difference?

I have a CMF Logan 544K son and he is possibly the darkest Hereford that I've seen. I don't know if the Logan bull throws dark red or where my bulls color come from because he also has some RF Posive Plus 73C on his maternial side. Check with Candy Meadow Farms or Reed Enterprises they should be able to tell you more about Logans offspring. My bulls registration number is 42476942 if you want to study his genetics. He is not a large frame bull , probaly a 5 frame and his weight at 3 years of age was 1600 lbs. You may be looking for something with more growth than Logan. My Logan son does throw dark red calves and some very well marked ones as well. My son may show one of the heifers from him at the Ky Expo, it depends how well she compairs to a Huth AI'ed sired heifer we own. I really like the color and length of my CMF bull , however I probally will not keep him much longer because a young bull that I'm raising will probaly replace him.

JHH":p18z0arf said:

The heifer is dark red and I plan to A-I her this coming year around end of may.Any suggetions? Polled or horned is ok.But want to stick to hereford and not crossbreed her. JHH

This won't guarantee a dark calf. Genetically she could carry a lighter gene and you would still get a light colored calf. Happens all the time. As someone stated above...Reed Enterprises is a good source of info, and semen.

I'm not real fond of the pic they have on the ABS site of the SHF Progress bull, but he may be a good one. Of course if you like him, it might benefit you to look at his daddy Legend 242. He is definitely more proven with equal or better numbers. I've not seen a lot of 242 calves, but the ones I have seen are fairly dark red. I have a Postive Plus heifer bred to Legend to calve on Valentines day, I'll post a pic or two then.

Another that comes to mind is Jim Reed's bull, RF Postive Plus 73C. He is very dark and appears to pass that same characteristic to his offspring. I have a Postive Plus son and daughter and granddaughter, all are dark red. Positive Plus is also what I consider proven and if I'm not mistaken, he is a trait leader in several traits. Either of these bulls would be safe to use on heifers IMO.

Legend:
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 0&9=5C5B5B

Postive Plus:
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=5C5A50

polledherefordsonly":3n26jitb said:
TRM 37E 121 KING 3238 SAFEST BET CALVING EASE BULL IVE SEEN. MAKES EM REALLY REALLY DARK AND PUTS ALOT OF PIGMENT.

If he AI-d her shortly after he first posted the question the resulting calf would be 4 1/2 years old now.

However the interesting part is that in the old threads you brought back to life THG features in one and Hill Creek Ranch in the other. So I guess welcome back is in order!?

KNERSIE":ojum513p said:
polledherefordsonly":ojum513p said:
TRM 37E 121 KING 3238 SAFEST BET CALVING EASE BULL IVE SEEN. MAKES EM REALLY REALLY DARK AND PUTS ALOT OF PIGMENT.

If he AI-d her shortly after he first posted the question the resulting calf would be 4 1/2 years old now.

However the interesting part is that in the old threads you brought back to life THG features in one and Hill Creek Ranch in the other. So I guess welcome back is in order!?

I never A-Ied her to anything. She is still here and produces a calf but that is about it. I do need to A-I her to something really stout to see if that would help in the muscle dept.

Wow old threads are coming back up, maybe the world is going to end tonight. If it is you Matt then welcome back.

KNERSIE":1j7d2f2x said:
polledherefordsonly":1j7d2f2x said:

Knersie,
WHile we are on the subject, what would you use for AI on a heifer. I assume you would balance traits. Assume heifer is good for marbling but shy on RE. Good milk too.
Valerie

vclavin":1u9ejsfe said:
KNERSIE":1u9ejsfe said:
polledherefordsonly":1u9ejsfe said:

Knersie,
WHile we are on the subject, what would you use for AI on a heifer. I assume you would balance traits. Assume heifer is good for marbling but shy on RE. Good milk too.
Valerie

I am not Knersie but for my 2 cents I would use TH 122 71i Victor 719 T (42800895).He throws dark red calves, he has 9 out of the 15 Hereford EPD's in the top 10%, he will more than likely be the most used Hereford sire in the Hereford breed this year. When you have a -0.1bw. and a +67
weaning wt.that's pretty hard to touch. The best part is you can buy his semen for $18. The other reason I would use him is because I own part of him.

Valerie, his RE is +0.73

Cowtex, I just purchased some Victor 719 semen a week ago. after searching I felt he had the most to offer as far as improvement of my herd, but I said that before and was mistaken. unfortunately when purchasing semen I feel you don't always get info on feet(?) or udder quality (daughters/ mother) which is two traits i would like to improve( just my 2 cents). do you have any pics to post of his calves?

buckeye":2147l4l2 said:
Cowtex, I just purchased some Victor 719 semen a week ago. after searching I felt he had the most to offer as far as improvement of my herd, but I said that before and was mistaken. unfortunately when purchasing semen I feel you don't always get info on feet(?) or udder quality (daughters/ mother) which is two traits i would like to improve( just my 2 cents). do you have any pics to post of his calves?

Buckeye, I apologize but I am out of town for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I will post some pictures of his sons and daughters. We just bred 30 of his daughters last week and they are something special. That's what makes this bull,that he sires the bull calves ($135,000) at Topp Sale this year as well as the daughters. You can go to the ranch photos on our web site http://www.nelsonlandandcattle.com and see some of his daughtes from a distance in the pasture but I will get some better pictures up when I get back to the ranch.

Latest posts