A ground settling rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have heard that statement all my life. Never made any sense to me. I heard it twice yesterday. We've been in a long rainy spell, and the ground is totally saturated. Two different people told me yesterday's that we need "a good ground settling rain now". Evidently, that is a hard rain, that is "supposed" to settle the ground. Seems idiotic to me that after as much rain as we've had, that more rain is what we need. Anybody else ever hear a statement like this, or maybe support the thought of a ground settling rain.

its a term used here in the spring after the fields have been plowed . The dirt is fluffy and soft so a ground settling rain packs it just right so the equipment can get in the fields and plant . it is usually followed by a short dry spell that when the moisture on top evaporates the soil forms a thin crust.

M-5":vx72fwjh said:
TennesseeTuxedo":vx72fwjh said:
Where Bigfoot lives and where my farm is nothing is close to having been plowed.

The explanation does make sense for plowed ground.
Tobacco land is plowed.

Sorry, I forgot to spell it out for you. There is not any plowed ground in this area AT THIS TIME, which is what I believe BF was referencing. Our fields are sponges right now.

TennesseeTuxedo":o07pwqi9 said:
M-5":o07pwqi9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":o07pwqi9 said:
Where Bigfoot lives and where my farm is nothing is close to having been plowed.

The explanation does make sense for plowed ground.
Tobacco land is plowed.

Sorry, I forgot to spell it out for you. There is not any plowed ground in this area AT THIS TIME, which is what I believe BF was referencing. Our fields are sponges right now.
Y'all need a ground settling rain , to help with that.

Yes as odd as it seems a really hard rain will set the ground after a long wet spell and it seems to dry right up. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it sure works.

Bigfoot":3ie7j4kx said:
I have heard that statement all my life. Never made any sense to me. I heard it twice yesterday. We've been in a long rainy spell, and the ground is totally saturated. Two different people told me yesterday's that we need "a good ground settling rain now". Evidently, that is a hard rain, that is "supposed" to settle the ground. Seems idiotic to me that after as much rain as we've had, that more rain is what we need. Anybody else ever hear a statement like this, or maybe support the thought of a ground settling rain.

I've never hear that mentioned. I agree that it seems crazy that after all the rain we've had that we could get another rain so unique that it would settle and help things.

In my area where alot of tobacco is grown. Less and less ground is plowed every year. Will soon be thing of the past. No till or strip till is the direction most is going. I grow a lot of tobacco. And don't have a positive thing to say about plowing. This rain whatever it is called enough already. Please

Latest posts