Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
IM000470.jpg

IM000456.jpg

IM000465.jpg

IM000387.jpg

IM000411.jpg

IM000479.jpg

Am I seeing number tags in the right ear and what looks like an RFID in the left on those calves?

You have shown us Crazy Horns before - that her black calf?

Bez!

Yep, I'm on the Angus program this year. And yep, that's my killer cow and her calf for the year. That white face replacement heifer with the goggles is her last year's calf. I guess as long as I can still run fast and jump high, I'll keep her. The truth is, I know what she's like right after she calves so I just walk carefully around her for the first couple weeks. She's fine now and that's a better calf than it looks in the picture.

Bez!":3t3q6p0m said:
Am I seeing number tags in the right ear and what looks like an RFID in the left on those calves?

Bez!

That's life for us up here now. They have to have a RFID to sell, and if you keep cattle records you will need a number tag too. A pain in the butt, but we reuse all our number tags so the cost is reduced. I notice that Cattle Rack Rancher is in on the Angus program, our stockyards is requiring the Angus tags ($2.00 more than the regular RFIDs here) and Age Verification for their Angus sale. It doesn't affect us as we don't sell in that sale, but you should have heard the discussion my hubby had with his father over that one..... :shock: ;-)

randiliana":3eg0qbwm said:
Bez!":3eg0qbwm said:

Bez!

That's life for us up here now. They have to have a RFID to sell, and if you keep cattle records you will need a number tag too. A pain in the butt, but we reuse all our number tags so the cost is reduced. I notice that Cattle Rack Rancher is in on the Angus program, our stockyards is requiring the Angus tags ($2.00 more than the regular RFIDs here) and Age Verification for their Angus sale. It doesn't affect us as we don't sell in that sale, but you should have heard the discussion my hubby had with his father over that one..... :shock: ;-)

I run the same ID system

Bez!

Nice pics CRR, nice looking animals and looks to be real pretty country up there.

Where I work, cows and calves have well decorated ears as well. Each ear wears a number as well as RFID in one ear and cows and heifers wear the Bangs tag in the other ear and many now have notches in one ear. pretty soon they're going to run out of ear space :lol: .

Katherine

Whats RFID stand for? We call our ID NLIS tags. National Livestock Identification Scheme. Its OK but made a bit of extra work for us. We apply ours at branding time,saves time on the way to market. We have white ones for stock bred on the place and red for those not. There will come a time when red isn't required beause of time.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":5t186609 said:
Whats RFID stand for? We call our ID NLIS tags. National Livestock Identification Scheme. Its OK but made a bit of extra work for us. We apply ours at branding time,saves time on the way to market. We have white ones for stock bred on the place and red for those not. There will come a time when red isn't required beause of time.
Colin

Radio Frequency ID. Its the chip inside our "NLIS" tags, that talks to the reading equipment. Colours are orange and white here in Queensland, same designation.

I'm not so sure the orange tags will go away, but we will see.

What is that last one? It looks like a wooly mammooth. How can he see where hes going? :)

RebelCritter":29qv8nkr said:
What is that last one? It looks like a wooly mammooth. How can he see where hes going? :)

:D :D :D

That is a Highland.

Toughest critter this side of Hades.

Put them out on a paved parking lot and they do well!

Uglier than sin - to me at least - but I hear they taste pretty good.

Bez!

marimus":2njy21gw said:
Australian Cattleman":2njy21gw said:
Colin

Radio Frequency ID. Its the chip inside our "NLIS" tags, that talks to the reading equipment. Colours are orange and white here in Queensland, same designation.

I'm not so sure the orange tags will go away, but we will see.

The orange tags will go away in a few years, as from now on any other cattle you bring onto your property will have to have the white tag from their property of origin. Whether they find another use for the orange tags after this is another question.

Killala":3chlg33z said:
The orange tags will go away in a few years, as from now on any other cattle you bring onto your property will have to have the white tag from their property of origin. Whether they find another use for the orange tags after this is another question.

Don't be so sure. If an animals tag is lost, and it is no longer on its property of birth, then an ORANGE tag must be applied.

http://lwx.dpi.qld.gov.au/lwx/nlis/page ... /05_04.htm

Tags are supposed to have retention rates of 90-95%, but that still means losses will occur, and orange tags will be needed.

Nice pictures, CattleRack, thanks for sharing. It's not hard to figure out who Crazy Horns is - she looks like she's got a definite attitude! :shock: Good looking bunch of animals, too!