a couple of questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

cathys

Reaction score
I have a old saddle that is the most comfortable saddle I own, I can ride for hours in it..the only problem is it is a hard seat (no cushion at all) and is so darn slipperey. What can a person do (other than putting velcro on saddle and seat of my pants) to keep from slipping in the saddle??

I also have a new saddle that is very comfortable and want to use that one more but it is VERY stiff.. what does a person use to soften the leather that hangs and holds the stirrups (don't know the correct name for it sorry). After riding for awhile my knees get sore and I am guessing it is from the stiff leather and trying to keep the stirrup turned outward. What is the best way to break in a new saddle???

Thanks Cathy

i have a seat saver made by cashel, I LOVE IT. As for breaking in new leather, keep moving it, and i personally like leather cpr to help soften it. dont be afraid to use to much. to help the stirrups turn bend them out and put a broom through them.

If you wore leather chaps it would help you stick but honestly it shouldnt matter how slick your seat is. Your balance and position has everything to do with it.

cathys":399zhpym said:
I have a old saddle that is the most comfortable saddle I own, I can ride for hours in it..the only problem is it is a hard seat (no cushion at all) and is so darn slipperey. What can a person do (other than putting velcro on saddle and seat of my pants) to keep from slipping in the saddle??

Stop sitting so relaxed, make sure your stirrups are adjusted correctly, use balance and your legs.

I also have a new saddle that is very comfortable and want to use that one more but it is VERY stiff.. what does a person use to soften the leather that hangs and holds the stirrups (don't know the correct name for it sorry). After riding for awhile my knees get sore and I am guessing it is from the stiff leather and trying to keep the stirrup turned outward. What is the best way to break in a new saddle???

Give it a couple of good soakings with Neatsfoot Oil on a good, hot day out in the sun. The Neatsfoot Oil will condition the leather, make it more supple and flexible, and also protect against water. My preferred method is to put the saddle on a sawhorse, and paint the Neatsfoot on with a paintbrush. Take an empty gallon milk container, and cut away the front part - leaving the handle - and it works very well for the oil. The sun will help it soak in. Be sure and lift up all of the fenders, skirts, and other parts so you're getting uniform coverage on all parts of the saddle.

Thanks Cathy

VtMapleGal":1i31o9ur said:
. . . to help the stirrups turn bend them out and put a broom through them.

The broom stick trick works like a charm!

I agree with the other posters that balance and proper stirrup length have a lot to do with keeping your fanny in the saddle. However, one thing you might consider (I have no idea if this could be done so that it didn't look like a homemade glue-down job) is locating a saddle maker/repair shop and have a piece of roughout (suede) leather applied to the seat of the saddle. Heck, barrel racers have been using that trick for years and years. Just a thought . . .

DrumRunner728":3rwsqnm1 said:
VtMapleGal":3rwsqnm1 said:
. . . to help the stirrups turn bend them out and put a broom through them.

The broom stick trick works like a charm!

It didn't work on my saddle - even after soaking it down pretty good with neatsfoot. I had a broomstick through the stirrups for better than a week, and the minute I took it out they popped right back where they had always been.

Wow, msscamp! Don't know what to tell you. I've never had it fail, but I seem to recall one saddle that took a lot longer to "train" than any others.

You know that foamy looking waffle weave material they use for lining tool boxes? Get a thick piece of that and cut a smaller piece to lay in your saddle seat and just place it there before you get on. It should stay put and will give you some grip and a little cushion. I've personally never tried it but I use that stuff to hold things on my dash board when driving around and it seems to work. Try it. 8)

Oh I missed the second question... use the neats foot oil as suggested then twist the stirrips beyond how they twist when riding and stick a broom handle through both stirrips and let the saddle sit that way each time its stored.

Thats the way i set the stirrups on my ropin saddle but i dip mine about half way up the leg in a stock tank and twist it a full turn in stead of half when it comes back it will be perfect. kept me from locking up and bustin my a.. on a dismount. be sure to twist the leather on the saddle above the stirrup into shape when you set em

bward":2n2zs6hh said:
Oh I missed the second question... use the neats foot oil as suggested then twist the stirrips beyond how they twist when riding and stick a broom handle through both stirrips and let the saddle sit that way each time its stored.
I agree, do it everytime your done with the saddle.
Also to much neetsfoot oil will rot leather. Use water to shape leather.
Also about weight in the stirrups. If your getting sore knees your putting to much weight in your stirrups.
The only time you should put wieght in your stirrups is if your roping or doing a slide stop.
Some people put weight in a stirrup when teaching a horse to spin. I used to but there is a better way. You dont need that weight.
If your riding with weight in those stirrups your bracing against your horse.

Okay,
I did the neatsfoot oil, (milk jug/paint brush idea and all) and it is sitting out in the hot sun. I also twisted the stirrups and put my hubbys 5 foot long busting/pry bar through them (didn't have a broom in the barn) it is heavy!! will let it sit for the day unless it starts to rain today.

VIMapleGal where did you get the seat saver you talked about?? Email me if you want with the info..
Thanks guys I will be anxious to use my saddle and see if it makes a difference.
Cathy

Horse Guy":flx7536r said:
The only time you should put wieght in your stirrups is if your roping or doing a slide stop. Some people put weight in a stirrup when teaching a horse to spin. I used to but there is a better way. You dont need that weight.
If your riding with weight in those stirrups your bracing against your horse.

Actually, Horse Guy, barrel racers ride with their weight in the stirrups . . .

Haha Okay if your standing up and galloping you pretty much need to put weight in those stirrups.
Actually im no barrel racer so I dont know what you girls are doing. But for reining or say general riding you shouldnt be putting weight in your stirrups.
Example sometimes I catch myself doing it on colts that im a little nervous of.

the way i adjust my sturrips is set on my butt and should be able to see the tips of my boots in front of the knees. and the ball of you foot on the sturrip. but i never set back on my hip pockets riding

Alacowman, you know barrel racers do everything backa**wards (or so we're told). ;-)

The way I adjust my stirrups is to stand up in them. I want an inch clearance, no more than two inches, between my fanny and the saddle. A lot of people have a tendency to ride with their stirrups too short and it throws them forward in the saddle. I also put the ball of my foot in the stirrup tread. If your weight isn't in your stirrups, you are likely to lose a stirrup . . . but I've only been riding for about 50 years now. :p

Has anybody tried Leather Therapy? Over the years I have used neatsfoot oil mostly but down here it wants to form mold unless wiped quite often due to humidity. I then moved to Lexol because I found it worked good on my boots and saddle bags on the bike.

Recently I got a sample of Leather Therapy and tried in on my new saddle. I was impressed with how quickly if softened. It usually takes me a couple years to a new un-oiled saddle to where I like. Usuallly several soakings in neatsfoot and several rides in the rain.

I am pretty impressed with this Therapy stuff. It's not very cheap at $12/8 oz but it may be worth it. You might find it cheaper online somewhere. I have no interest in this stuff but I sure like it.

Leather Therapy is great stuff. A little goes a long way. It really works well on boots too.

Mildew is problem where I live too. You can mix a tablespoon of generic Athlete's Foot powder in 10 to 16 oz of Neatsfoot oil and it will help prevent mold. It works well. I learned about it in an old Quarter Horse Journal.

flaboy?":2u2tyk9p said:
Over the years I have used neatsfoot oil mostly but down here it wants to form mold unless wiped quite often due to humidity.

I didn't even think of that aspect, and I should have - I lived in Georgia for more than enough years to know about the humidity. :roll: Sorry about that. :oops: :oops:

Latest posts