A couple bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

smnherf

Reaction score
A couple of bulls that will be offered for sale.

SMN Mackintosh 1251 On Growsafe test gained 3.84 DMI 22.62 F/G 5.89 RFI -.59

SMN Liberty 1274 Growsafe data ADG 4.02 DMI 22.76 F/G 5.66 RFI .05

New herd bull. Should be a great heifer bull. 75 lb bw with a -0.1 epd with a highly fertile cow family behind him.

AllForage":14vsq4bd said:
What specific market are you breeding for?

Agree the first one has no masculinity.

It always interesting how people see cattle differently.

The first 2 are 10 months old calves never creep fed and grown out on a 45 MCAL ration and weigh 1045 and 1010.

The last one is 22 months and I would like to see him a little more masculine than he is, but you cant have everything when you are looking for heifer bulls with some performacnce and maternal. I love the bulls rib shape.

More consistent photos might help - same angle and same body position (leg back, side of head, etc).

If people want decent opinions they should spend more than 1 minute taking photos.

First bull has leg forward, and front of head looks feminine, but other bulls might look similar from same angle. Of course, the last bull is older.

smnherf":4hg0y8v5 said:
The first 2 are 10 months old calves never creep fed and grown out on a 45 MCAL ration and weigh 1045 and 1010.

The last one is 22 months and I would like to see him a little more masculine than he is, but you cant have everything when you are looking for heifer bulls with some performacnce and maternal. I love the bulls rib shape.

Energy level of the feed isn't that important if they're eating an unlimited amount of it. First one still looks like a cow.

I dont have a problem with everyone voicing their opinions. I wont even call you names if I dont agree with you, unlike another discussion board. :p :p I see what you are saying on the first one, his sheath doesnt hang down to the ground and he doesn't have an extra couple pairs of gloves on his neck, but I assure you he is all bul! :p We clipped his head this past week and burned body hair. Havent done that in years and it sure changed the way they look, but if you look closely in the first pic you can see he is starting to develope a crest on his neck, completely adequate in my opinion, for a 10 month old bull on a lower plane of nutrition.

A pic I chose not to use as he is standing so poorly and it doesn't represent him well.

TexasBred":3joooyxg said:
smnherf":3joooyxg said:

Energy level of the feed isn't that important if they're eating an unlimited amount of it. First one still looks like a cow.

I will have to disagree with you on that. Energy level plays a role in how fast an animal can gain. Finishing steers are on a 58 to 62 plus MCAL ration

smnherf":1s8mire9 said:
but if you look closely you can see he is starting to develope a crest on his neck, completely adequate in my opinion, for a 10 month old bull on a lower plane of nutrition. .
You shouldn't have to look that close at ten months. I raise my own angus bulls on grass and milk and they're easy to spot as bulls within the first few weeks and they stay that way. If I have to "look closely" I cut them and that happens within the first six months and six months is a stretch.

smnherf":28bdks7z said:
I will have to disagree with you on that. Energy level plays a role in how fast an animal can gain. Finishing steers are on a 58 to 62 plus MCAL ration

Not necessarily "energy level" as much as "total caloric intake". The higher the energy level of the feed the less required to get the desired result, THUS as I said, the cheaper and lower energy feed would work IF you gave him enough. You may like #1 but he still looks like a she. You wanted opinions. That's mine.

smnherf":ovish40m said:
A couple of bulls that will be offered for sale.

SMN Mackintosh 1251 On Growsafe test gained 3.84 DMI 22.62 F/G 5.89 RFI -.59

SMN Liberty 1274 Growsafe data ADG 4.02 DMI 22.76 F/G 5.66 RFI .05

New herd bull. Should be a great heifer bull. 75 lb bw with a -0.1 epd with a highly fertile cow family behind him.

smnherf-

Smooth, well balanced bull. If the other significant Growth and Carcass genetics are present you should have a real winner for replacement heifers.

DOC HARRIS

He does look better in the second pic to me, it probably also helps that there aren't so many other bodies and legs around him. He may work well as a heifer bull just because of a slightly finer head is a bit easier to pass than a block head. The bull calf I'm keeping for a neighbour has a really slender head. He's only a week old so it's a bit early to tell how he'll look later on.

Latest posts