A bit off

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
I have a three year old cow due to calve her second june 10. A couple weeks ago she seemed to have rapid breathing, but otherwise appeared healthy. Now the past couple days she, is breathing normally(20) per minute. But is acting odd, laying down a lot, walking real slow, and seems to be either weak in the legs or a little off balance. She is eating normally and is in good body condition, even a fat. Her ears are perky and her eyes do not look listless. Even the other cows are taking a special interest in checking her out. It is not feasible to get a temp. on her right now. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

Taking a temp feasible or not would be the best, and then a call to the vet. Taking the temperature can tell you if there is an infection going on. My thoughts lead to respiratory.
But it could also be a ruemin problem.
It could be an age thing, old age, i mean.
It could be a to heavy to move around thing
It could be lack of mineral thing
Moldy hay thing
Aborted fetus thing and she did not clean
Aborted fetus and it is not expelled and did not clean.
Sore feet
bad joints
arthritis
and the list can go on
sorry for the cheeky attitude

Based on your description of the problem, I would be getting her in the chute and checking her feet. She could have foot rot, she could have stepped on something and bruised a foot, she could have a foreign body in her foot, or lodged between her toes. A garden hose with a nozzle set to jet will help in this endeavor, as will a thick, soft cotton rope. ;-)

I'm with msscamp.. it sounds like a foot / hip injury type problem. Can't be old age rr.. he said she was only three years old. Normally if a cow has pnuemonia she will be off her feed. I'd watch her when she gets up and starts to move.. if it's a lameness problem you can usually tell pretty easily when they first get up and move off.

TheBullLady":xc9kcua1 said:
I'm with msscamp.. it sounds like a foot / hip injury type problem. Can't be old age rr.. he said she was only three years old. Normally if a cow has pnuemonia she will be off her feed. I'd watch her when she gets up and starts to move.. if it's a lameness problem you can usually tell pretty easily when they first get up and move off.
I missed the three year old part, but i was trying to make a point, it could be many things, time to get her checked out.