840 EID

Help Support CattleToday:

Midtenn

Reaction score
Being I've never used EID tags, I'm asking how would it benefit me to start. We have a premises Id number already. We right now sell about 60 feeder calves a year And about 10 or 15 bulls and replacement heifers combined. Our goal is to be selling 2 load lots a year within 5 years.
Also is there any benefit to EID tag the cows?

If your selling bulls through taep you have to have 840 eid tags, not just any eid tag, but females or calves you don't have to have them.

bse":agiqjr7h said:
If your selling bulls through taep you have to have 840 eid tags, not just any eid tag, but females or calves you don't have to have them.

That's right forgot about that. Just been selling 2 or 3 bulls a year but I bet TAEP will come in to play for us pretty soon. How do I go about ordering them? I don't even know what all the numbers mean. Or is it something vet can do at time of BSE and PIBVD testing?

Midtenn":1n8nyu7d said:
bse":1n8nyu7d said:

That's right forgot about that. Just been selling 2 or 3 bulls a year but I bet TAEP will come in to play for us pretty soon. How do I go about ordering them? I don't even know what all the numbers mean. Or is it something vet can do at time of BSE and PIBVD testing?
I got mine from valley vet you just need to make sure it's an 840 EID tag (840 is the first three digits) and have your premise ID ready

The benefit of EID tags is the ability to read them with an electronic reader and then quickly upload the data to an electronic device. If that ability would greatly benefit your herd, then it may be worth it. However, if you are running a 100 head herd, it probably won't be that much of an improvement, if any.

To read the EID tags, you will need to buy a scanner and the cattle will have to be caught or run through an alley whenever you want to read the tags with the scanner. There likely aren't any other real benefits, unless you participate in a program that requires them. They would be overkill on most feeder calves, which often don't require any official identification for travel.

Biggest down side of the tags is they are hard to read if you do it visually without the scanner. They have a 15 digit number printed on them, which I think is much more difficult to quickly read in a chute than the standard bangs tag or silver ID tag. Ultimately, most producers use farm tag numbers for their personal identification and record keeping needs rather than using the official ID, since official ID's are so much more challenging to read.

Latest posts