8 mo. old calf down

Help Support CattleToday:

shweebies1

Reaction score
We have a longhorn bull calf who went down sun. morning. We think it is black leg. We treated him and he is doing MUCH better. He is up and eating now - but is hind right hoof is broke over - he won't walk on it. Is that part of black leg or maybe he has something else going on.

It's not blackleg, if it were he would be dead by now. Maybe just got his hoof caught on something and it hurt to put weight on it so he didn't want to get up. Are the hoofs normal length or are they overgrown?

Absolutely something else. No way it's black leg. What did you treat for? Did you talk to a vet? I would say some sort of physical injury.

When he was down he would not get up, he was depressed and his temp was over 104. He has some lumps come up on his front shoulder - they are gone now. We treated 20cc pennicillin daily and gave his vaccinations to him. His temp yesterday was 102 (I didn't take it today). His back is hunched and he is now hopping around on 3 legs. He is still pretty depressed though. The foot and joint doesn't feel hot or even swollen. It seems like it might be neurological.

There is a long list of things. Tendons, bones, punctures - it could be anything. All anyone on this forum can do is postulate the ailment. It sounds like a broken bone to me.

You took his temperature and that's good.

Take him to a vet or find a very experienced cattleman, who may tell you to take him to a vet.

If it is a broken bone somewhere in the leg, the cost will be approximately $1800 through a vet. Could be more in your area. You might want to consider processing him.