70 Year Old Rancher Attacked By Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I saw on the MSNBC news today that a 70 YO man was repairing fences and attacked by his CRAZY COW! He apparently managed to shoot it with his .22 pistol. Wife heard screams and came and picked up pistol and shot it some more. Then, before or after shooting she ramed it with the pickup. I think they said she finally killed it. He is in critical condition in a Florida Hospital...

Moral to this story:

"Never take a .22 to a Gun Fight...(or cow fight)." People that think a .22 is a suitable defense weapon have been watching too many cartoons...of course, a well placed shot into a vital brain area might do it, if the projective didn't bounce off the skull bone...

Use nothing smaller than a 9 mm semi-automatic. Preferably a .40, .45, or .357. Whether or not the attacker is 2, 4, or no legged reptile... Life is too short to be a (dead) victim. "Be prepared when doing ranch work...(especially when alone)..."

JMO

Running Arrow Bill":3ogmqvdz said:
I saw on the MSNBC news today that a 70 YO man was repairing fences and attacked by his CRAZY COW! He apparently managed to shoot it with his .22 pistol. Wife heard screams and came and picked up pistol and shot it some more. Then, before or after shooting she ramed it with the pickup. I think they said she finally killed it. He is in critical condition in a Florida Hospital...

Moral to this story:

"Never take a .22 to a Gun Fight...(or cow fight)." People that think a .22 is a suitable defense weapon have been watching too many cartoons...of course, a well placed shot into a vital brain area might do it, if the projective didn't bounce off the skull bone...

Use nothing smaller than a 9 mm semi-automatic. Preferably a .40, .45, or .357. Whether or not the attacker is 2, 4, or no legged reptile... Life is too short to be a (dead) victim. "Be prepared when doing ranch work...(especially when alone)..."

JMO
i bet that rat pistol wasnt meant for his cow originally ...and that well placed shot is hard to acomplish when your being wadded up like a pretzel

One of the funniest things I've ever watched was a three hundred plus pound cowboy trying to put down a nine hundred pound crossbred cow with a broken leg and a fever with a twenty-two rifle. She was on the fight since WAAAY before her leg ever broke and was exceptionally mad since it happened. It was quite a game of cat and mouse watching those two chase each other around the corral. :lol:
He finally got her but he was sweating bullets and shaking pretty bad. By the end it was more of a sense of self preservation than it was a mercy killing... The sick part is that most of us were better armed and most of us had horses ready on hand... but we were ALL fed up with both of their additudes and so we watched them duke it out and laughed our butts off instead of helping. :roll:

News here said the 22 had rat shot in it. Probably had the gun on him more for the snakes than the cows

It's not likely to take your time and make a well placed shot when your skeered for your life.
Best to carry a bigger caliber with most rounds.

Cal

Calman":2nv2lrna said:
It's not likely to take your time and make a well placed shot when your skeered for your life.
Best to carry a bigger caliber with most rounds.

Cal
due to a unfortunite experience years ago, nothing less than a pumpkin ball for me to lay one down

While I would never use a .22 LR over a 9mm and up caliber I would prefer it over a .25 or .32 cartridge. I guess it would be better to have a .22 LR than nothing at all. If you stoke a .22 pistol with CCI Stingers I know I would not want to eat one in the body or head. I have killed deer with those. For a .22 round they really pack a pop.

Another benefit of having a good dog
Over the years there have been several times an animal beaded down on me and the dogs distracted it enough for me to get to safety.
One got me down (before the dogs could get there) and was rolling me when they jumped it. It left me to fight with the dogs.

Howdyjabo":1qfdjugn said:
Over the years there have been several times an animal beaded down on me and the dogs distracted it enough for me to get to safety.
One got me down (before the dogs could get there) and was rolling me when they jumped it. It left me to fight with the dogs.

good dog is worth their weight..:)

I bought a cattle trailer at an equipment auction,in October. I didnt get the title, the day of the auction. I called the auction company to get the title. They said they'd mail it to me. Anyway a couple days went by,I got the title along with a death certifacate. I thought, what the crap. A note was in with the title that said to show the D/C with the title to get it transfered. I got to reading the D/C the cause of death was crushed by a cow. Foust Charolais, Cullman, Ala. Kinda weird.

Some of you might remember me getting rolled and busted up by a bull last winter. I carry a 357 with both rat shot and the real thing. Never had time to even think about using it until it was all over. Good thing he was not real mean and just walked away when he was done.
I like the idea about the dog.

farming an ranching is a very dangerious game.my mom gets mad at me because i prefer to work alone.

oscar p":1j2hr98r said:
I bought a cattle trailer at an equipment auction,in October. I didnt get the title, the day of the auction. I called the auction company to get the title. They said they'd mail it to me. Anyway a couple days went by,I got the title along with a death certifacate. I thought, what the crap. A note was in with the title that said to show the D/C with the title to get it transfered. I got to reading the D/C the cause of death was crushed by a cow. Foust Charolais, Cullman, Ala. Kinda weird.
i heard about that,,, their was a man near Rainsville got hit by a bull a few days ago said it flipped him 20 ft. in the air....... blood clot got him

spinandslide":14jhbq21 said:
Howdyjabo":14jhbq21 said:

good dog is worth their weight..:)

I will take a good dog over a gun any day. Guns run out of bullets, dogs fight to the death.

Not sure of the details but I believe I heard that a Colorado man was killed by a bull sometime this past week. All they said on TV was it Stomped him. and two other fellas got it off him.

Latest posts