7.3 diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1989 F250 7.3 diesel,5 speed. Thinking it might make a good hay truck. It only has 101,000 miles and runs good. Looking for some advice from those that have owned one.good and bad. Thanks in advance.

Great engine. Common failure points are the cam position sensors, the high pressure oil line fittin where it goes into the pump, and the injector o rings. All of which are fairly simple to fix.

Those were non-turbo-ed and want have a lot of power, but are good engines. Most of the school buses and UPS truck during that time period had those engines which were a International 444, the same engine as the 7.3. They had around 170 hp and were solid as many of the buses and UPS vehicles had close to a million miles on them before being retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... chassis%29

Hook does a 1989 7.3 IDI have a cam sensor? I've never replaced one on my 1992 7.3 IDI. I would buy the truck if you want one of the best diesel engines ever made. My 92 F250 has 435k on it and still runs great. I've done a little checking and the engine is a million mile engine. The 7.3's don't have nearly the power of the 7.3 Power Stroke, but will last 3 times as long. The 7.3 IDI needs good glow plugs to start in cold weather.

highgrit":10ho964s said:
Hook does a 1989 7.3 IDI have a cam sensor? I've never replaced one on my 1992 7.3 IDI. I would buy the truck if you want one of the best diesel engines ever made. My 92 F250 has 435k on it and still runs great. I've done a little checking and the engine is a million mile engine. The 7.3's don't have nearly the power of the 7.3 Power Stroke, but will last 3 times as long. The 7.3 IDI needs good glow plugs to start in cold weather.
When you double the power and torque it tends to shorten the life as there is more heat and stress on the components , but there is plenty of documented 7.3 Power Strokes going with well over a 1/2 million miles as I know of two right off hand.

I know of one 7.3 with 1.5 million miles on it. A power stroke too. He runs greyhounds all around the country
Highgrit, Im not sure if the idi has the cps or not. I missed the year when I was reading through the post.

From further checking is looks like 1994 was the first year for the CPS on the 7.3. I'm still not completely sure the 1989 didn't have one as a water company not far from me put a cps in a 7.3 and I was thinking it was a 1989. Maybe somebody else will know for sure.

Good motor.Like mine a lot.235000 on a 1993.Put new glow plugs in a year ago.
Mine benefitted from opening up the exhaust to 3" as two 1 7/8s fork into another 1 7/8".Not a great boost but better.3" glasspack and tailpipe out in front the right rear.Sounds about stock if you keep your foot out of it.

The 7.3 IDI's had a problem with pitting of the cylinders from the water jacket because of cavitation, There's an anticavitation additive that MUST be run in the antifreeze on them, and needs to occasionally be tested for an replenished. With 100,000 miles I think you got lots of life left in it, they were a durable engine, but as everyone says, not that powerful...

And a misery to drive behind.. darned STINKY

Nesikep, next time don't follow me so close. I must of been running off the back tank, it's straight oil of one kind or the other. I use the front tank to purge the system before I shut it down. A tank of diesel will last me close to a year.

It's a 2wd reg cab. In the last year it has new ac,glow plugs, alternator,battery and tires. No rust or dents and pretty slick all the way around. Gooseneck hitch but it sure don't look like it's been used much. He's at $4500 on it and I think I'm gonna go pick it up this weekend.

25 year old 2wd truck for 4500... too much money in my opinion as well.. I know that up here you can get a 95 dodge diesel 4x4 for not much more than that.

You can get a 95 dodge diesel 4x4 with 100,000 miles,no rust,dents,nice interior,new ac for $4500? No you can't. If you can give me the info so I can buy it.

may have a bit more mileage... I bought mine (dually, 4x4, 5 spd, single cab) 6 years ago with 200,000 miles in good shape all around for $8500, it had new tires as well.

When I was in texas in 2008 I nearly drove back home in a 2000 Ford super crew 4x4 in MINT shape for $10,000

My dad paid $3500 for his '92 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, 300,000 miles, but it had some rust.. it was a 1 owner truck and the interior is like the day it came off the lot..

Deals are out there that are better than this Ford... I'd think about $3000 for that truck is right

None of those examples are even close to the same as what I am looking at. May have a "bit" more mileage? 200,000 vs 100,000? Yea that's a bit more and $8500 vs $4500? I think you got took. All u had better was 4x4. I don't need duals.

$3500 for a rusty dodge with 300,000 miles? I think I like the 100,000 mile truck for $4500 better. I don't care if it's a few yrs older. It takes a long time to put 100,000-200,000 miles on a part time use feed truck. I do wish it was 4x4 but we have a GMC gas 4x4 for muddy days.

Latest posts