60 day breeding cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I was wondering what you 60 day breeding cycle folks did with the cows that came up open . After preg checking do you cull them to the salebarn , put them back out with a bull ?

"D",

Isn't the whole point of going to a shorter breeding span to increase overall fertility of the herd and produce more uniform calves? If so, I don't know how you could not cull open cows; if that was the original target.

cypressfarms":1urx64rv said:
"D",

Isn't the whole point of going to a shorter breeding span to increase overall fertility of the herd and produce more uniform calves? If so, I don't know how you could not cull open cows; if that was the original target.

Agreed. Unless you put them back with the bull to sell as breds instead of culls. Someone may want later calving cows. Assuming that fertility isn't totally out of whack.

The objective is to get them out of the breeding pool. Some choose to do it immediately. Others will fatten and sale, or breed and sale, etc. Those are business decisions related to an individuals cost/day/cow. For a simplistic example, if your cost to carry a cow is $1.00/day (which is pretty good cost control), and you can get the cow bred in another 30 days then you would have to get back at least $30 more for the cow as bred as oppossed to open. But then there's the opportunity cost of that extra $1.00/day. Would it have been better used put toward a quality cow that you know you're going to get results from? Was that OPPORTUNITY there?

Personally, I cull immediately. Not because that's what I've been told I should do, but because for me it makes the best business decision. Knowing those inputs (revenues and expenses) and making business decisions based on sound data is the difference between having an enterprise or a pastime.

Notice I didn't use the "H" word! ;-)

Some cull and ship to slaughter, some will breed them and sell as bred cows, some will slip them to a different calving season, i.e. spring calvers that don;t settle get slip to fall calvers.
There are so many variables in how cattle are managed that what is the right solution for one producer may not be for another.

dun

i cull mine when they are open, i have spring and fall breeding seasons. you can move them to the next group to double check. i have a friend that does that. but if you want to eliminate slow breeders that doesn't solve the problem. i want cows that calve every 12 months or hit the road, calve from feb. 8st - april 8th. i had one cow that calved feb.11th one year and the next year calved april 3rd, i had her on the strike list,when i preg checked she was bred and she calved feb 15th

I work on a 63 day breeding season and expect my cows to calve in 45 days. This way i do not have late breeder that miss the next time. We run about a 95% preg rate. When it is a good hiefer she might get to go to the spring or fall season. But not very often. Hiefers that do not breed usually are going to be hard breeders and late breeder.

If they are schitzen they go to the sale barn.

If they are young they get fattened for slaughter.

Never keep an open - she costs too much money. Cow earns her keep or goes down the road. Really keeps the fertility high.

Bez!

I just bought a group of open cows and heifers from a man on a 60 day cycle. I have put my bulls on them and will preg check them in sept. The ones that are heavy bred I will keep. The ones that are open I will sell and the ones that are light bred I will mark for later re-sell. I bought them at a good price and had space so I figured I would give it a try.

denoginnizer":o655f3qn said:
I just bought a group of open cows and heifers from a man on a 60 day cycle. I have put my bulls on them and will preg check them in sept. The ones that are heavy bred I will keep. The ones that are open I will sell and the ones that are light bred I will mark for later re-sell. I bought them at a good price and had space so I figured I would give it a try.

You bought his culls? Was it that good of a price?

cypressfarms":1kcwrfcc said:
denoginnizer":1kcwrfcc said:

Just because they didn't for the previous owner doesn't mean they won't work for denogginizer. Management plays a pretty important role is whether cows breed and settle, too. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":36et2w7e said:
cypressfarms":36et2w7e said:

Just because they didn't for the previous owner doesn't mean they won't work for denogginizer. Management plays a pretty important role is whether cows breed and settle, too. Just my thoughts.

My thoughts too msscamp. Wright or wrong, not everybody is that stringent with their breeding/calving window.

lakading":3a04k7r1 said:
msscamp":3a04k7r1 said:
cypressfarms":3a04k7r1 said:

My thoughts too msscamp. Wright or wrong, not everybody is that stringent with their breeding/calving window.

That is very true. It basically comes back to what works for one may not for another - there are just too many variables in this business. Again, just my thoughts.

cypressfarms":niryuiqw said:
denoginnizer":niryuiqw said:

Yes. Bought some last year and had a 87% success rate on re-breeding.

Diehard40":3d55fofr said:
I'm not gonna feed a cow that isn't paying her own way

If you buy her cheap and get her bred, who's to say you won't end up with a positive ROI???

I don't do it either, but I'm sure there are some people who can make it work. Personally, like you, I'm not interested in that situation. More power to those who are. Hope it works out for ya.

If you are asking because you have a long calving season, and want to go to a 60 day calving season - I wouldn't try to do it all at once. Start out with maybe 90-100 days first year, than shorten it down. It may take a few years. Or the first few years you might split your herd into a 60 day spring & a 60 day fall.

Latest posts