6 wt calf down

Help Support CattleToday:

kysmallfarmer

Reaction score
Hi, I bought some 6 weight calves and was slowly putting on feed. they were fairly poor when i bough them and didnt throw feed at them hard. now at 16 days i have one down. this is a 6 wt holstein bull. this one was slow to get up when I fed... yesterday eve, this morning it is down, no bloat, desnt look like blackleg, no scours still, on side legs stuck out, head not curved back. bytril, penn g, and banimine..... no other calves affected.... any suggestions on cause? was going to work them today but holding off stressing them incase i have something here comming on.

The best diagnosis I can give you right now is to call your Vet. Hard to determine best treatment without seeing the animal.

By the way, :welcome: to the boards!

kysmallfarmer":5dp32vkz said:
Hi, I bought some 6 weight calves and was slowly putting on feed. they were fairly poor when i bough them and didnt throw feed at them hard. now at 16 days i have one down. this is a 6 wt holstein bull. this one was slow to get up when I fed... yesterday eve, this morning it is down, no bloat, desnt look like blackleg, no scours still, on side legs stuck out, head not curved back. bytril, penn g, and banimine..... no other calves affected.... any suggestions on cause? was going to work them today but holding off stressing them incase i have something here comming on.

Is the bull still down? I am late on here, but had some things to offer. I am assuming you called the vet already, or you put it down if it did not recover.

I will offer one thing in general for the future. Invest in a thermometer. It is kind of like doing diagnostics on an engine if it isn't running...the thermometer is the prime place to start and then start going through the checklist of other things. This also helps your vet when you call. Sometimes the call can answer the question if you have done "x, y, & z" before you call and can tell the vet. This will sometimes save you a house call from the vet, which can be very expensive.

Latest posts