6.0 GM Drive Train ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
What would an average life be for this set up?

I have been looking for a reasonable ranch truck and keep seeing them with about 230,000 miles...

If the truck has been taken care of it should last a lot longer if abused that's probably getting to the end of its useful life unless you're willing to make bigger repairs. Great thing about GM stuff is if it's over about ten years old parts are a dime a dozen and they're reasonably priced. They're also pretty simple to work on. I have 2 Chevy half tons with around 230,000 and I'd drive them anywhere. I had a 01 3/4 ton gmc and it was a pretty good truck, terrible on fuel but for a farm truck it don't matter. It didn't have as much power as I expected pulling a load. Around what year model are you looking at?

That Vortech engine is a 400,000 mile engine if taken care of, if the transmission hasn't been rebuilt at that mileage that would probably be something that would have to be done in the very near future, about $2500 for a trans rebuild parts and labor if it's 4x4 a little cheaper on 2 wd.

My boss had an 02 Suburban 2500. Had 230,000 on it when sold. Still running as far as I know. Worst things it needed was a rear main seal and oil pump.

My 06 Silverado 1500 has 315k. Engine is mostly untouched, had to a rear main and oil pump O-ring. Transmission (known weak point) and rear diff were rebuilt once. Transfer case has a hole worn in it and will need to be done soon.

They will last a really long time, and if they do quit, replacement engines are cheap and easy to find. The 4L80E trans in the 2500 and 3500 trucks was pretty solid, way better than the half tons 4L60E.

They are the only gas trucks that I see somewhat frequently on the marketplace with 250k+ on them.

[quote="Little Joe" I have 2 Chevy half tons with around 230,000 and I'd drive them anywhere. I had a 01 3/4 ton gmc and it was a pretty good truck, terrible on fuel but for a farm truck it don't matter. It didn't have as much power as I expected pulling a load. Around what year model are you looking at?

Looking at 03 to 08 3/4 tons.

Atimm693 They will last a really long time said:
My 01 1500 went 279K before the tranny went. Then drove it as a fencing truck in first or second gear for a couple more years.

My current 11 1500 only went on 157K before the tranny started slipping, and it was more tranny than the neighbor could rebuild. Looking for something a little more heavy duty for pulling medium sized loads.

I had an 03 2500 w/ the 6.0. Engine never missed a beat. Transmission never missed a beat. Kept it 8 years and sold with 200k miles. Front end was rebuilt twice and was worn out again. But I did have 34" tires on 10" wheels on it so that probably had a lot to do with it. Gas mileage was fairly poor but it's one of the best trucks I ever had and I've considered buying another 6.0 instead of another diesel.

JMJ Farms said:
I had an 03 2500 w/ the 6.0. Engine never missed a beat. Transmission never missed a beat. Kept it 8 years and sold with 200k miles. Front end was rebuilt twice and was worn out again. But I did have 34" tires on 10" wheels on it so that probably had a lot to do with it. Gas mileage was fairly poor but it's one of the best trucks I ever had and I've considered buying another 6.0 instead of another diesel.

What caused you to sell at 200K?

Stocker Steve said:
JMJ Farms said:

What caused you to sell at 200K?

Gas prices were high and when I got divorced I suddenly had a need to haul 3 kids around regularly to school and what have you. It was well used and was an extended cab but I really needed/wanted a crew cab to have more room, so I bought a great used 14 year old Ram 3500 flatbed regular cab with a 5.9 diesel, that I wish I had never sold, to pull my trailers and a 1 year old crew cab 1/2 ton Z71 for everyday use. That lasted a couple of years and then I sold them and bought a 1 year old 3/4 ton Ram diesel crew cab that I'm still driving. I was always in the wrong truck at the wrong time. Tips I needed would be in the other one. I love the torque of the diesel but a 6.0 would do good enough for my use. The diesel is just more expensive from purchase, to maintenance, to repairs, to fuel.

6.0 engine is one of the most reliable on the market and if maintained, should exceed 300,000 miles. I have a flatbed that's strictly used to haul hay, cattle, fertilize, feed, tractors and anything else needing hauled on the farm. Its an 03 6.0/manual trans with around 330,000 on it and its sitting with 16 rolls on a flatbed ready to deliver this evening. The 6.0 isn't a low rpm torque monster (like the 8.1 big block), but it has good power above 2500 rpm. Almost every time I pull the load i have on it now, i think a diesel would be nice...then i hear people talk about injectors, head gaskets, egr delete, bulletproof, programs, def, fuel filters, fass systems etc, etc....... I've put a fuel pump, oil pump o-ring, alternator, a clutch and went through the front end on this truck and that's it other than scheduled maintenance. One of the most trouble free trucks i've ever owned.

Dealing on an average O5 HD crew cab with 170,000 miles on it. Good tires. Needs brakes and rocker panels. What would this go for in your area?

Stocker Steve said:
Dealing on an average O5 HD crew cab with 170,000 miles on it. Good tires. Needs brakes and rocker panels. What would this go for in your area?

6-10k if 4x4. Low miles and crew cab are a big plus.

Around here it is next to impossible to find a decent <200k newer 4x4 truck for under 10k.

Atimm693 Around here it is next to impossible to find a decent <200k newer 4x4 truck for under 10k. [/quote said:
In the north - - they still want $7 to 10K for some really rusty 4x4 trucks. Salt eats up these 15+ year olds.

For $15 to 20K you can get some newer clean units, but they often have about 150K miles on them. This seems to be a point where you can spend a lot on front ends and AC compressors and drive trains. The AC compressor quit on both of my pick ups this summer...

Is there a sweet spot for buying used gasser trucks?

Stocker Steve said:
Atimm693 Around here it is next to impossible to find a decent <200k newer 4x4 truck for under 10k. [/quote said:
In the north - - they still want $7 to 10K for some really rusty 4x4 trucks. Salt eats up these 15+ year olds.

For $15 to 20K you can get some newer clean units, but they often have about 150K miles on them. This seems to be a point where you can spend a lot on front ends and drive trains.

Is there a sweet spot for buying used gasser trucks?

I'm from Detroit Lakes area. Every time I go up there it is depressing to see such nice trucks totally rotted out.

I don't know if there is a sweet spot. I buy older trucks for cheap and fix them myself. Beats a payment.

The best thing I can think of is buying them just off lease or a few years old, then trading up every few years before they depreciate very much. Like you say, that 150k mile truck may need a whole lot of work in the near future.

Latest posts