5 wire barb wire cross fence

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Planning to cross fence a pasture. 950 feet all open and straight. Labor quote of $3.50 a foot. With me furnishing welded up corners. Is this a good price to high or to low.

That's high compared to the guy that does ours. He charges $1.95/foot AND he's supplying the materials. Another couple of guys in the area charge $2- $2.15/foot. These are current prices as of the last month/6 weeks. With these prices in our area, we haven't built our own fences in years.

Probably not a bad price for such a short run of fence. The mobe in and out costs affect the cost per foot a lot more on a small job as compared to a bigger job.

Your fixing to get hooked
I would be at 2.85. material and labor.on a straight run
You need to find a different contractor. If he doesn't want to do the braces he's not a professional.

hurleyjd said:
Planning to cross fence a pasture. 950 feet all open and straight. Labor quote of $3.50 a foot. With me furnishing welded up corners. Is this a good price to high or to low.
That's $3325. You said "labor quote"...does that footage cost include the wire and line posts? I sure hope so...
That sounds like $3.50/ft for just 4 rolls of barbed wire ($69.99 per roll at McCoys=$280) and about 95 tee posts (8' are $6.60 ea = $627) for total of roughly $907 of materials + installation..assuming he would be using tees for line posts.
Sounds pretty high to me but a man's labor and associated cost is no longer cheap as it once was.

Regardless of cost, I would be more inclined to skip the middle barbed strand and put a high tensile strand on insulators. We are doing this with all our rebuilds now and fence repair is minimal.

gcreekrch said:
Regardless of cost, I would be more inclined to skip the middle barbed strand and put a high tensile strand on insulators. We are doing this with all our rebuilds now and fence repair is minimal.
That is exactly what we are going to do on all new projects.

If I could get $3.50/ft labor installing 5 strand barbwire, I'd change careers and become Fenceman2! Around here I can get it done, labor and materials (wooden corners) for $1.85

I think I'm with 75-100 miles of you Hurly and the prices I get are $1.25 if you provide materials and $2.25-2.50 if they buy the materials. Most around here seem like they would rather you provide everything. Corners are the most important part of a fence so I'd ax that contractor.

gcreekrch said:

You mean your running the middle wire as a hot electrified wire ?

is this for cattle, or sheep ? I ask as I have netting on external, have an offset for sheep, but the cows also respect the fences, but was thinking of using hinge joint fence for internal, or maybe net, barbs at lower end would concern me for any animal that is pressured or scared.

barbs at lower end would concern me for any animal that is pressured or scared.

I wonder...how many 10s of thousands (millions?) of miles of 5 (or more) strand barbed wire is strung across just my state, holding cattle, horses and sheep in?

greggy said:
gcreekrch said:

is this for cattle, or sheep ? I ask as I have netting on external, have an offset for sheep, but the cows also respect the fences, but was thinking of using hinge joint fence for internal, or maybe net, barbs at lower end would concern me for any animal that is pressured or scared.

Yes, middle wire is hot, right at nose height. :D

All for cattle.

Oh, ok, I have seen cattle run through electric and barb with hinge joint at bottom, did not seem to bother them, would not want my sheep doing that, not as think skinned :)

But now another question, how high is the fence then if the middle hot wire is nose height ?"

Down here people often put an offset off top barb which is at about 1,1 - 1,2m, this stops them putting head over to eat next door, which ends up damaging the fence, mine are quiet and do not go near any fence and only have hot wire at about knee height to stop sheep and goats etc leaning on fences.

save your money.. put in corners. . throw up 3 strands of HT.. t-post every 40 - 50'

done.

greggy said:
gcreekrch said:

Matters not, cows could be standing in shoulder high Alfalfa and still the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. If they can't lean over and into it to get to the other side they figure out how to turn their head sideways to get through it. When they mow down what's next to the fence, they lean farther out to get what's beyond the area where they were eating and there goes your fence, like when they went over the top.

Amazes me how you can look at a barb on Gaucho wire and you are bleeding but even with barbs 6" apart they are totally immune.....when fence bustin!

callmefence said:
cowrancher75 said:
save your money.. put in corners. . throw up 3 strands of HT.. t-post every 40 - 50'

done.

Except for checking your half azz of fence the rest of your days.

perimeter fence should be better no doubt. for rotational grazing, 3 strands is pretty much overkill.

Latest posts