4H Swine

Help Support CattleToday:

Paisley07

Reaction score
Hi! This was my first year showing a pig and I chose a YorkX gilt. We placed first in our class,won the lot and I won first in showmanship. I also won first in Novice Livestock judging. Pretty successful first year and I hope to keep it up. Included are some pictures of me showing "Daisy Duke",oh and sorry if the lighting is bad,it was about 9:00 or 10:00 pm when my weight class showed.
5xpyz9z.jpg

4qp3ziu.jpg

4lnh6qt.jpg

6gus7sn.jpg

53zxogj.jpg

61wlbnb.jpg

thanks!It's funny cause the fair was in March and in January she got sick,she had an extremely high fever,diarreah,wouldn't eat,would barely move.But she bounced back quick once she finally recovered. I really miss her cause she had an awesome personality too.But I'm looking forward to this years pig.

Keren":3boljwyo said:
Very nice pig.

Was she sold as a breeder or as chops?

And if you don't mind my ignorance, what exactly do you do when showing a pig? (I've never shown pigs).

At our fair,all livestock is sold for meat because they are all sent to the same slaughter house, but as of 2008 that might change and the buyer would have total control of what to do with it when they buy it, but my pig was sold as chops.

When you show pigs you lead them around with a cane and try to get them to be attentive,obedient, and catch the judges eye. It really shows how little time some kids work with their pigs over the course of the year when they enter the ring and the pigs are unruly. Fortunately for me, my pig was a fast learner and took to the cane fast, so walking her at home was easier and less frustrating. And you're not ignorant, you've just never shown a pig before! :D

So the pig is trained to follow you with the stick?

I'm beginning to think that there is more to preparing pigs than I thought . . .

At our local shows here pigs are just judged in pens, but I think at the royals they might do it like you said.

That pig looks to have alot of meat. How much did it weigh? Here at our fair they have weight limits. Have you every tried using marshmellows stuck in the end of your stick to train them. The girl we get our pig from uses marshmellows to train her pigs. Nice pig. I like the 4-H jacket.

Keren":2eywch0w said:
So the pig is trained to follow you with the stick?

I'm beginning to think that there is more to preparing pigs than I thought . . .

At our local shows here pigs are just judged in pens, but I think at the royals they might do it like you said.

The pigs are trained to respond to the stick. Its kinda like setting up cattle's feet, you teach them to respond to pressure on their hoof, a hog is trained to respond to pressure from the stick usually on the side of their neck behind the ears. When you show them you want them responsive to the slighest touch so you can keep them off the rail and in front of the judge, but you don't want the pig walking over the judges toes. Pigs can take just as much time as the cattle to prepare.

at my fair all you do is chase your hog around with a little whip thingy. i kinda liked that idea. but my dad still wont let me get no pig. :(

L Weir":3c18zvcj said:
That pig looks to have alot of meat. How much did it weigh? Here at our fair they have weight limits. Have you every tried using marshmellows stuck in the end of your stick to train them. The girl we get our pig from uses marshmellows to train her pigs. Nice pig. I like the 4-H jacket.
She weigh 259 final live weight. The limit for our fair is 310,otherwise they're just too big.And the marshmallows are a good idea,I'll have to remember that!
at my fair all you do is chase your hog around with a little whip thingy. i kinda liked that idea. but my dad still wont let me get no pig.
Some people use whips around me too,I just know canes are very popular.

Latest posts