4-H steer? Any tips or tricks? Advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
It's only two weeks (okay, 2 1/2) until the county fair :D [youtube][/youtube]. This is my first year raising a 4-H steer. I've had him since the end of march. I got him as a pasture raised, 800 LBS animal who had only had a halter on for two weeks before we brought him home. He's come A LONG WAY since then! Today was the last steer project meeting, and I learned how to set him up for showmanship, etc. We also weighed him, and he weighs in at 1000 LBS. We are still feeding him fitter's edge and a little less than a leaf of bermuda hay. :banana:
Any tips or tricks I should know about taking a steer to the fair, showing him, showmanship, grooming, clipping, showmanship attire (I'm planning on wearing black levis, western boots and a black western shirt--I think a black shirt will match the steer's color and show dirt less easily), etc? As I said, I'm still a complete newbie at this, so do you experienced folks have any advice :help: ? My steer is 3/4 angus, 1/4 Shorthorn if it makes any difference. The other kids in the project have Maine Anjou's. All of our steer are within 20 LBS of each other, regardless of breed. ALSO, the leader said my steer looks a little different when set up because his legs are short? WHAT? Is that a typical angus thing or just my steer :???: ? I picked him out myself, and tried to pick one based on personality, so I had no idea what to look for confirmation wise. Also, are Maine Anjou's typically more mellow than Angus? Just wondering.
Thanks in advance!!!!

Many of the youth where we live (including my children) wear starched blue jeans and a nice long sleeved western shirt. Your belt should match your boots. Wear colors that look good on you.

Keep practicing leading him and setting him up. Your leader or 4-H Extension Agent should be able to show you how to clip and fit him for the fair.

Most importantly have fun at the fair with your steer and your friends.

Good luck.

I learned all i know about showmanship from a Stierwalt clinic.
This is the way that I show. anywhere i go.
1. We always wear a WHITE collared shirt underneath our club jackets(ffa or 4-h) with nice jeans and ALWAYS wear boots.(never steel toed)
2. Loose fitting pants aren't the best in the world but they will work. We like straight legged Cinch jeans that fit kinda loose around the boot(Cinch Black Lables). Just make sure they dont drag the ground.
3. TIP. We completely fit the calf and get it READY TO WALK IN THE RING BEFORE you change into your show clothes. We always takethe calves outa the chute and have someone lead them to the water bucket before we change... and while they are drinking we go and get "dressed"
4. if this is your first show, go and stand by the ring for 20 minutes or so and get a feel for how the show is setup.
5. SCOTCH COMB. always carry it in your back right pocket(nearest the calf) with the teeth against your jeans... if the Judge ever touches your calf? wait until he moves to the next class. Then take your comb and redo the hair where he touched.(be kinda quick about it)
TIP!! When moving feet. the most important thing to do is to always use your halter as a tool to your advantage... For example. If you want the back leg on your side to move forward. Hook your showstick behind their foot and pull forward on the hater lead.(to move back do the opposite, push with the point of your stick and push backwards on the halter)
6. When you are standing in a strait line, set up in the ring. always have that back foot on your side forward just about 3 inches or so. If the judge walks to the back of the calf move it back to where its even with the other one...
7. SHOWSTICKS! The perfect showstick length depends on two things. SIZE OF THE ANIMAL and SIZE OF THE SHOWMAN. If your animal is pretty long and big your gonna want a bigger show stick to reach those back legs. Your stick needs to be long enough that you can move the back legs WITHOUT PULLING THE HEAD TO THE SIDE.
8. MAKE DAM SURE YOU KNOW YOUR ANIMAL. Birthdate, Weight, Sire, How much he is eating a day, Breed Percentage, His Strengths and Weaknesses(good bone substance, muscle substance,) If the judge asks you what you would change about him START WITH HIS GOOD QUALITIES. "i really like this steers substance of bone and i think that he will finish out to be a great steer. He has alot of muscle right now and its obvious but i think he will soften up and fill out well.

9. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE OUT OF ALL. IF YOU DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING ELSE FROM THIS REMEMBER Just have fun and live it up. You win a few and you lose a lot. It will all be alright in the end though.

HAve fun and i hope i didnt bore you to death. Good luck Poultryrancher

Latest posts