4 day old with mucus in eyes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Chaty

Reaction score
I just got a 4 day old Jersey bull and he has mucus and watery eyes...I havent ever had this type of problem with a calf before. He isnt from a sale barn, he is from a dairy ...Should I just clean with soap and water and maybe some BioMycin in his eyes ...this is what I do from my goats when they do this. Usually it will clear in a few days but this is new to me with the bottle calf. He is on cows milk at this time also not replacer. Thanks for the help

Forget the soap and water. If those are his ONLY symptoms ~ then yes, a triple antibiotic eye ointment is a good idea. Is what I do for my goats too ;-)

Well just went out to feed him and the eyes are looking better. I washed them off yesterday evening and put some BioMycin drops in each eye and they are lots better...and man does he have a appetite too...this little man will be the new heifers boyfriend and also for my jersey cow and her girls too...cant wait.

Put a call into the vet this morning and he said to give him a shot of NuFlor and to keep his eyes clear by washing off the gunk and also to wear gloves when doing it. He said he has had lots of calls about this and he said mainly it is the weather and also it could be a sign of something else. So he weights about #50 so he got 4cc's of it and he is doing good this evening.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply as Norman is doing so much better and his eyes have cleared up and his appetite is great too...

Latest posts