3rd Eyelid...? (Nictating Membrane).

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I noticed one of my cows today seems as if her 3rd eyelid was not retracting all the way. The flies have been awful but I try my best to keep them at bay for better health of my cattle. Is this a possible issue with irritation from flies? Are there any health issues related to the 3rd eyelid not retracting all the way? I will be sending a photo to my vet tomorrow if the condition persists.

Hmmm... our cows just have 2 what are you talking about. Is your cow psychic? 🤔🤨 3rd eye? Or You talking about the other end? I'm lost....

It seems a bit swollen below the eye itself. And you can see the nictating membrane. No growths or anything but a small red spot. Going to send a photo to my vet to see her response and suggestion. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7B8FE4E5-3197-402E-AE45-2E40C80FB7EF.jpeg
    7B8FE4E5-3197-402E-AE45-2E40C80FB7EF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 5781AF5E-D09D-4493-995B-8F98748A849F.jpeg
    5781AF5E-D09D-4493-995B-8F98748A849F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Ummm, @ksmit454 that does not look good. See how her eyes are bulging? Compare your pics to yet another cow I had. I would definitely take her in ASAP but bulging eyes are generally lymphosarcoma. Your vet can do a blood test to confirm. And, edit to correct my earlier post: that cow had early cancer eye in 2017, not 2014. Cancer eye, if caught early & has not traveled to the lymph nodes, can be easily treated. BLV cannot. Yet another reason I now use only disposable syringes & needles when vaccinating the herd.

Attachments

• P6020007.JPG
    P6020007.JPG
    947 KB · Views: 6
Ummm, @ksmit454 that does not look good. See how her eyes are bulging? Compare your pics to yet another cow I had. I would definitely take her in ASAP but bulging eyes are generally lymphosarcoma. Your vet can do a blood test to confirm. And, edit to correct my earlier post: that cow had early cancer eye in 2017, not 2014. Cancer eye, if caught early & has not traveled to the lymph nodes, can be easily treated. BLV cannot. Yet another reason I now use only disposable syringes & needles when vaccinating the herd.
I know it doesn't look good at all. Going to get her in the squeeze to look for foxtail... happened last year to this very same cow. Vet says it's a foreign body in the eye. I will ask her about the lymphosarcoma. Thank you for your information I really appreciate it. I know eye issues are more prevalent with white faced cattle too.

Well did a full sweep of the eye. Got nothing out. Applied terramycin ointment. I'll keep on eye on her and have the vet out if it continues. She's gentle enough I could put a fly mask on her... lol

Have your vet remove the third eyelid. Simple procedure and will buy the cow a few more years. Do it soon, though because those pre cancerous lesions blow up in mid to late summer and treatment then becomes more problematic.

Have your vet remove the third eyelid. Simple procedure and will buy the cow a few more years. Do it soon, though because those pre cancerous lesions blow up in mid to late summer and treatment then becomes more problematic.
Plus, my vet charged a ridiculously low $23. No meds, just removed both eyelids & cauterized them.

Latest posts