38% cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Guy delivers em for some feed company.
Leftovers from a delivery. I guess u pay and if u cant take em all, ur stuck with paying.
Anyway. I can get em cheap. As in free

If they are 38% protein ? What are they made with....lupin ?

If they are that high in protein, get some fruit, do a bit of a calc so they are ending up with 12 to 16% protein.....brewers grain may work well too with them.

I'm feeding 36% DDG cubes. When I did the math on the per ton cost it was a little cheaper to feed the 36% when compared to the 20% cubes. Another plus was I only had to fill the overhead once. I supplement the hay daily with cubes.

Brute 23 said:
Cottonseed cubes are around 40% I believe. That's what I feed in the winter. They are only a dollar or two more for double the protein.
Pretty sure that's what he's talking about as well, but some companies will lower the guarantee as cottonseed meal seems to vary a lot in some years. The ones I've seen are pure cottonseed meal. Look up the NRC nutrient profile for the meal and the cubes will be the same. I haven't priced any in quite a while but probably over $400 a ton in bags. "Free" sounds like a deal unless they're "hot". :lol2:

Yep. Cottonseed cubes. 38%
They are a lil darker in color than the 20% I've been feeding.
I'm already cutting back on feed, so I'll feed a bit less of these and keep my eyes on em.

If you're trying to add weight to your cattle, they need more fat and or carbs than they do protein. If you observe the cow pies your cattle produce, you can tell if they have enough protein in their diet or not. I can't see the need for this type of feed. If it's cottonseed and you're feeding to bulls, this can make the bulls sterile for a period of time.

They ain't getting much of it. But thanks for the warning.
They probly get 150 pounds for 14 full grown animals.
That's of the 20%

I'm thinking I'll cut it back to about 100 pounds or so.
They only get fed twice a week

kilroy60 said:
If you're trying to add weight to your cattle, they need more fat and or carbs than they do protein. If you observe the cow pies your cattle produce, you can tell if they have enough protein in their diet or not. I can't see the need for this type of feed. If it's cottonseed and you're feeding to bulls, this can make the bulls sterile for a period of time.

People use them a lot around here in the winter or even in drought times when you have stockpiled grass but the protein is very low.

It has to be used in pretty extreme situations like penned bulls and it's their only source of feed to make the sterile. It's pretty hard to fo with animals on pasture.

If you have a lot of low protein forage/hay the 38% cubes may be a better buy as far as the cost of a lb of protein are concerned. You feed less lbs. of total feed.

I have been using a 28% cube that has 8% fat. They are higher per sack but cheaper lb of protein.

https://www.lnc-online.com/product/rangemax-28/

BC said:
If you have a lot of low protein forage/hay the 38% cubes may be a better buy as far as the cost of a lb of protein are concerned. You feed less lbs. of total feed.

I have been using a 28% cube that has 8% fat. They are higher per sack but cheaper lb of protein.

https://www.lnc-online.com/product/rangemax-28/
I have a feed store in town that has them. I think they are 10.50 a sack but I haven't fed them though.

kilroy60 said:

It's not whole cottonseed but rather it's cottonseed meal. Most all feed companies south of the Mason Dixon line use it as the primary protein source in most cattle, sheep and goat feeds. An excellent product. If you feel it's too high in protein you simple feed half as much of it. That would make it the equivalent of your typical 20% breeder cube, less all the junk thta is put into the breeder cubes. Don't know anyone that feeds it for weight gain alone but it compliments low quality hay very well. As for bull sterility it's not a worry with CSM nor seldom with whole cottonseed unless fed in large amounts over long periods of time.

Latest posts