318 Detroit

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh1

Reaction score
Our fire dept had pumper with 318 Detroit . The bottom end is rattling. What is a good source of rebuilt crate engines of this breed? I have found 8v92 in salvage yard. Will bell housings interchange?

Changing from a 8v71(318) to a 8V92 will be a difficult and expensive swap. Getting all the accessories, lines, and brackets worked out will be the hard and time consuming part.

If I thought the bottom end was about to give trouble, I would get a oil sample analyzed, but open the oil filter to see how much debris was present, and get a experienced 2 stroke detroit mechanic to drop the engine pan and do a bearing inspection.

Detroits make a lot of racket anytime. What you are hearing could be some of the accessoriess or the gear drives.

Let me say I know nothing about the Detroit diesels but I think Gateboy is spot on about the swap. Lots of things to change even if the bell housing would bolt up. Next, the 318 is a 6V53, not an eight cylinder. The 8V92 is an animal when it comes to HP so then you have to consider the drive train, clutch, etc. Do a google on Detroit 6V53 and you will come up with several pages of information on the 53 series engines. GM made a bazillion of these engines and I would think you could get a rebuilt pretty cheap. Good luck

Always heard of 8v71 referred to as 318 Detroit due to being 318 hp. Put a turbo on it and you have a 350 hp.

Don't think a 6-53 would pull much of a truck as had a bobtail grain truck with 6-71 and it didn't have any too much power.

Thanks guys. I have local dealer looking for rebuilt but their source is being uncooperative

I believe the 318 refers to the displacement, not HP. 318 is derived by multiplying the number of cylinders (6) times the displacement of each cylinder (53) hence 6V53 is 6 X 53=318 cu in in a "V" configuration. The 53 series engines came in a multitude of configurations, some with turbo/supercharged combo's which yields a lot more HP than a normal supercharged model. The 8V92 is 736 cu in and can output several hundred HP.

Often wondered why GM lost the diesel market back in the late seventies. The 2 stroke Detroit engines owned the market and when GM needed a diesel they chose to hybridize (bastardize) an Olds gasoline engine rather than adapt one of the Detroit's.

I'd see if this engine really needs bottom end work first.

You can try Foley engines (google them).. they might have something

If you're going to do a drastic swap, have you considered other engines? If a 5.9 isn't enough, perhaps an 8.3?

rnh1":c627xrom said:
Our fire dept had pumper with 318 Detroit . The bottom end is rattling. What is a good source of rebuilt crate engines of this breed? I have found 8v92 in salvage yard. Will bell housings interchange?

Not much required to overhaul your engine. New sleeves and pistons gaskets and turn crank if required. rework heads. Not much more
than that to it. A cousin did his for his bluebird. He had no experience. Only problem he had was adjusting the governor.

So is it a 6 cylinder or a 8 cylinder? I am like Texas Papaw 318 was a v8. Been around a bunch of them in years past. Had a dump truck that had the 6v in it.

From what I understand, if it had a bottom end rattle, leave the top end well enough alone and rebearing it.. don't have to touch the head.. turn the crank and new bearings isn't too hard to do.. and put new seals.. it probably needs them!

A "318 detroit" is a 8V71 Detroit Diesel. They were a supercharged two stroke engine, 8 cylinder, V configuration, 71 cubic inches per cylinder, which typically made 318 horsepower when used in trucks.

The two stroke Detroits were made in many different sizes, configurations, and hp ratings. To confuse things a bit, truck engines were often referred to by hp rating, but the same engine in a piece of equipment would by named by the cylinder size and configuration. A "238 Detroit" in a truck, with 238 hp, would be called a 6-71 ( 6 cylinder, inline, 71 inches/cylinder) in a piece of construction equipment. The engine is the same, although the accessories were probably different. They were made in 53, 71, 92, and 149 series, with the numbers being the cubic inches per cylinder.

To rnh1, I would sure check the bottom end before buying a motor. Detroits make a lot of noise anyway. Even a bad injector can make one sound like it's about to fly apart. You need to get a mechanic with 2 stroke Detroit experience to look at it.

john

Power Output Specifications (6V92)[edit]
775 ft·lbf (1,051 N·m) @ 1200 rpm; 253 horsepower governed at 2100 rpm
816 ft·lbf (1,106 N·m) @ 1200 rpm; 277 horsepower governed at 2100 rpm
957 ft·lbf (1,298 N·m) @ 1300 rpm; 300 horsepower governed at 2100 rpm
1,020 ft·lbf (1,380 N·m) @ 1300 rpm; 335 horsepower governed at 2100 rpm71 series variants[edit]

Power Output Specifications
1-71 1.2L (71ci) Single-cylinder 10
2-71 2.3L (142ci) I-2 68
3-71 3.5L (213ci) I-3 113
4-71 4.7L (284ci) I-4 160
6-71 7.0L (426ci) I-6 238
6V-71 7.0L (426ci) V-6 238
8V-71 9.3L (568ci) V-8 318
12V-71 14.0L (852ci) V-12 450
16V-71 18.6L (1136ci) V-16 635
24V-71 27.9L (1704ci) V-24 1800

You are partially correct. I guess it depends on your age. 50 years ago the "318" was a 6V53 for displacement, not horsepower. They also made a "110" series engine as in 6-110 which saw a lot of use in the marine industry as did the venerable 6-71. The Detroit site where I pulled this info is also not exactly correct. The 6-71 started life as a Gray Marine engine which was later bought by GM. The site didn't state that but you had to have been there to know that. We ran 6-71 and 6-110 Gray Marine engines in some of the CG patrol craft in the early 60's. I do not see any other configuration for the "318" as a V8 which yielded more HP unless it was the 8V71T which was a turbo supercharged version but can't find any info on that particular engine combo.

They're called both a 318 could be a 6v53 or 8v71, depends on if your talking trucks or boats. I've run 6v53's for 40k + hours. That's why I'm half deaf, because of owning screaming Jimmie's. Detroit's hp is set by injector size. GM Detroit diesels were good in their day, but I wouldn't try to make a living with one today. The oil and fuel usage is awful. I have a GM 4-71 sitting in the barn, that I need to haul off to the auction.

We had a couple of old machinist mates at the Coast guard repair station in New Orleans that really liked tinkering with the engines. The 40 footers we were running at the time had twin 6-71's that could not keep up with the hot rod boaters on Lake Ponchartrain so the two old codgers took one of the 40's and slipped in a couple of much massaged 6-110's. When they got through the 40 would run about 40 mph. Of course the boat could double as a smoke screen generator but they were fast. Then the CG received a 30 footer with twin Cummins V8's. They were not quite as fast but good enough to quieten down the Lake front.

One plan is to buy parts get students in mechanics school to in frame it

Latest posts