3 point cone spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm going to get one, might as well get the best. Is there one I should stay away from? I would also like, the biggest I can get. Do they come any bigger, than the standard size I'm used to seeing? I want to be able to spread:seed, fertilizer, and pelatized lime.

I have this one except mine is 30 to 40yrs old. I v e had it 15 yrs and just replaced the thrower arms last yr.

LEL.HR.jpg

True Grit Farms":19ld9wm1 said:
http://turfcare-us.lely.com/en/our-products/broadcast-spreader/type-l-4000

I rinse our hopper out and spray it down with oil after each use.

That is nice. Probably out of my price range. Lely must be over seas? I hadn't heard of it till recently.

Lely makes some good stuff.. we have a rod weeder by them and it's really nice

Our spreader is a JD.. about 35 years old, works good though has some glitches you have to be aware of (Handles bouncing and moving).. Like Truegrit, it gets washed out and sprayed down with some oil, and we usually turn the hopper upside down as well.

Lely was $3,300, but it did hold 6-800 pounds. Sales guy said it was definitely a commercial grade piece of equipment. They actually have 3 point models that go up over a ton.

Tarter is $470.

You can find the cheaper ones on sale for $350-375 depending on time of year, I cannot tell them apart, likely rebadged for whatever store they sell. Got mine last year for 350 at rural king, I think it was made in Italy?!?!, so far so good.... TSC runs them (I think tarter?) on sale once a year too, missed it and had to to to RK.

90% of the used ones I see for sale used have been stored outside catching rain for 5 years minimum, if you store it inside, even a cheap one will likely last you a lifetime.

But I'm tight like that.

If you keep fert out of the tarter it will last several yrs. I see that kind rusted and wore out at auction all the time. The lely I have is the only one Ive ever seen at auction and I gave 200 bucks for it. It will hold 900# , The ujoint on the pto shaft was flopping when I bought it and still is today. the caps are completely gone . I have said every year I need to fix that but hook up and use it and it never breaks . I didn't know anything about the spreader till I was searching for manual several yrs ago and found a pic like it and figured out it was a lely the spinner arms finally rusted out and I had a metal shop build me some out of stainless steel.

M-5":fahdb8jf said:
if its very dry
And you don;t put much in it at a time. Probably would need an agitator too.
The comment about washing it out and oiling it down is spot on. Even if all you spread is seed, the seed dust will collect in the darndest spots and end up rusting out if you don;t clean it thoroughly

I don't know if any one brand is any better than any other, and yes, you can spread granular fert, lime, and seed with them, but they don't do any of them perfectly.
I know I end up with a crapload of ryegrass seed and fert on the back end of my tractor when I use either of mine. I have one poly and one galvanized--they both work about the same--don't remember the brand. I bought them from the Kubota dealer I used to work for. I think one is a LandPride.

Will probably last as long as any of the others if taken care of. Just keep it greased, and wash out anything left in it after use, and all the debris that builds up under it. See the nuts on the cone supports? I have (on both mine) had them work loose. I'm not crazy about that threaded rod for aperture adjustment but that's what most of them use--you'll likely find the decal with the suggested opening sizes for different seed/fertilize leaves a lot to be desired.