2way radios

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone had success with any particular brank od handheld 2way radios?

Thanks

Dun, do you mean the FRS or GMRS radios? If so I think one brand is probably as good as another , we have Midland, and they work reasonably well. These are "LINE OF SIGHT" radios so if your path is obstructed by hills,hollers, or dense tree growth performance suffers.

We use the Motorola. They were inexpensive and the range is about one mile. They are very useful. Tom :cboy:

Use Motorolla and am hooked up with a service provided by our power company. I can talk to anyone in Georgia or Alabama. Pretty useful.

We just use our Verizon cell phones and since we call eachother on the same service there is no charge. I had some of those other two ways (Cobra) and they just didn't work for us.

Billy

I've got Cobras out here (can't remember the model) that supposedly have a 40km range, however we haven't had any success with them past a mile or so. With the poor cell service in the area, I think we're going back to CB radio.

Rod

My dad and his brothers back in the day run Motorolla Moxy Radios. They were not hand held but they worked well. (as they should have for the price they were). They had a several mile range, sometimes as many as 15 miles or so, but there was the inconvienance of the FCC licnese for the closed band frequency.

But that was then, and now I just use my cell phone.

I have a Cobra two-way radio, but they dont have the distance I think they should. Good for about a mile or so, but thats it.

I had Motorola's back in the day. And a subscription to a repeater, which re-broadcasts the signal after boosting. Useless darn things. Everywhere I worked was a dead spot. The batteries cost a fortune. The radios cost more. Thank the lord for the modern cell phone net. And competition.

Motorola is a good brand. Used to use a Motorola CB radio in the 80's and 90's. Great performance. Bought Motorola stock in the year 2000. Non-performance. Sold in the year 2007 for same money I bought it for.