2pt vs 4pt.

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
I think we've discussed this before but I couldn't find it in the search.

How many use 2 point barbed wire instead of 4 pt? Is it a regional thing? I only remember seeing one or two pieces of 2pt that was older here in Virginia.All I've ever bought was 4 point.I don't recall anyone here selling 2pt.
Also,I prefer to use the high tensile due to it's cost,weight and galvanization being better.Yes,the low carbon is easier to see for cattle and easier to work with but I don't like how it rusts out so quickly.
if I was building new fence between farms or along a road it would probably be hi tensile smooth,8 wire with a 6" spacing and 8" off the ground.We built one between us and the neighbors 7 or 8 years ago and have never had any problems.I did add insulators on one wire but have only hooked it up once.That or woven wire 50" high min. like 9-49-6(or 12) 12.5 lock joint.

I think it is regional thing. At least it is here. Western Washington and Oregon the pastures are smaller and thus fences are shorter. The animals are always fairly close to a fence. The fences are all 4 point. They are mostly 5 strand. Eastern Oregon and Washington the pastures are huge. Fence is by the mile and they are more of a suggestion than a barrier. It is rare to see 4 point. Almost all 2 point and fence is mostly 3 strand with some 4 strand.

4 pt here, and I rarely see 2pt for sale, tho I don't know for sure, that an extra 2 points is going to really make that much difference. Last time I did look, the price was virtually the same for both..a couple dollars/roll difference, with sometimes, the 2pt being higher....perhaps because they don't make as much. economy of scale.......
[trivia follows]
Surprisingly (to me anyway) the extra 2 points does tho, add about 2 lbs to the weight of a full roll of wire--more if it's low carbon wire.

Bekaert 4 pt 15.5 ga Gaucho:
$42.99
42 lbs
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... e-1-320-ft

Bekaert 2 pt 15.5ga Gaucho:
$44.99
41 lbs
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... e-1-320-ft

I'd go single wire 4 pt before I do doublewire 2 point.. Never seen 2 point in my life.. I'd consider it useless.. just enough barb to cut your hands and not enough to be a deterrent.. I'd sooner go HT.

Latest posts