:?:

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like she has a sticker hangin out of the lump. Of course it sis not cause it but its buddy did. If you can restrain the animal "WELL", and stick a needle (16 guage) with sirenge and draw back to see if anything comes out. you might feel also for fever. This is to check for an abcess.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the swelling of the thyroid glands (I THINK cattle have thyroid glands), which, if I can remember correctly, is a cause of deficiency in iodine.

Just my thoughts.

i would say she has an abcess from the prickly pear needles that needs draining, carefully.

I'd say its bottle jaw-
edema caused by worm damage
In an animal that age and size it would have to have its immune system severly compromised.
If there is sufficient feed available then I woould be thinking about wasteing diseases.
Looks like the rest of the herds not far behind her.

I believe I'd be calling my vet immediately - bottle jaw is one of the symptoms of Johnes Disease.

Howdyjabo":20aadaf1 said:
I'd say its bottle jaw-
edema caused by worm damage
In an animal that age and size it would have to have its immune system severly compromised.
If there is sufficient feed available then I woould be thinking about wasteing diseases.
Looks like the rest of the herds not far behind her.

I just took another look at this picture. You are right. Is there sufficient feed available? These animals are awfully thin.

Alice

She appears to be having a hard time eating and is going to lose a lot more condition if you don't have a vet out to look at her. We had one that had a lump similar to that (smaller though), a calf, it was an abscess that need to be drained and cleaned out. I would get a vet to ensure that it is nothing serious and get her eating again.

dam them are poor looking outfits. if that is bottle jaw and i suspect it is looking at the poor overall condition of them other's you need too get on a herd health program get a vet out and get em worked. but i dought its liver fluke as dry as its been

FireWinds":3sbx15it said:
I don't think it's just the sticker. There are a lot of prickly pear and rattle snakes at my place. She has had this for a while. I pulled her calf to help her condition. She is a good mama. Her calf was one of the bigger better ones that is why she is so poor. She's was ivomec'd in August. Her condition got better after the calf was pulled a month ago, now the fluid has all of the sudden doubled at least. No signs of snake bite or any sores. I did notice that her tongue looked a little bloody this past weekend. She seems to struggle a little eating cubes. I'm stumped. The place is remote so, hauling her to the vet is a last resort. I'm sure she would get hammered at the sale barn.

I have a full up WW chute so I can run her through. Thought about the LA-200. If I pen her and draw some fluid what should I look for?

TIA

Light green puss. Drain it all out and flush the abcess with nolvosan and water. To drain make your cut at the lower part of the abcess and leave it open. Thats if it is an abcess.

All good suggestions. Since you said you had lots of snakes, that's where I'd start. Look for bite marks in the area. Had a young heifer that did the same only in the lower part of her neck. After draining and 4 days of antibiotics it cleared up and she is fine now.

Worm her good and it will probably start going down in the next few days. If it doesn't, then look elsewhere.

We just had a cow that was like this, not as bad, we wormed her good and within a couple days she was back to normal.

mom

I had a cow with a very similar looking problem about 4 months ago. I hauled her to the vet and he gave a shot of an antibiotic. I brought her home and within a few days the swelling was gone. The vet said it was not bottle jaw or worms but an infection of some kind but he couldn't say what caused it. I'd try an antibiotic. Maybe show the picture to a vet and he could recommend something. Some antibiotics have to be given for several consecutive (sp?) days. The injection my vet used was a one-time injection.

My vet also said this cow had a broken jaw but he didn't think that had anything to do with the infection. He suggested I wean her calf and sell her as soon as possible.

Latest posts