257 Roberts

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I traded for a Ruger M77 today in 257 Roberts caliber. Got 1 box of Winchester 117 grain ammo with it. Anyone have anything in 257 or experience with it?

kenny thomas":yr4momud said:
I traded for a Ruger M77 today in 257 Roberts caliber. Got 1 box of Winchester 117 grain ammo with it. Anyone have anything in 257 or experience with it?

Got me on this one, that is a round I have never shot.

Seems like I always buy the odd stuff and then I can tell the wife its so hard to sell I think I should just keep it. It seems to be a shortened 25-06 but im not sure.

It's an excellant cartridge Kenny. My gunsmith hunts deer and Antelope with one. Very efficient too. Easy to load for!

BTW if you handload it go to a 110 Nosler Accubond great bullet with a tremendous Ballistic Coefficient.

Great round, used it for Mule deer for years. It is a 7x57 mauser necked down to 25. I like it well enough that I had an old Australian Martini chambered for 6.35X57 Rimmed (Rimmed 257 Roberts).

The 257 Roberts was based off of a necked down 7mm Mauser. The same as the 6mm-244 Rem. I believe. A 257 Roberts is a nice round, easy to shoot good. Never had much luck getting a Ruger rifle to shoot spot on. All of the Rugers that I have messed with have a wood tang in the forearm of the stock. And the barrel touches this all the time, rain or shine, and wet or dry. It doesn't work good for accuracy.

highgrit":3lb5q41b said:
The 257 Roberts was based off of a necked down 7mm Mauser. The same as the 6mm-244 Rem. I believe. A 257 Roberts is a nice round, easy to shoot good. Never had much luck getting a Ruger rifle to shoot spot on. All of the Rugers that I have messed with have a wood tang in the forearm of the stock. And the barrel touches this all the time, rain or shine, and wet or dry. It doesn't work good for accuracy.
Sounds like this might be a caliber I will like. The rifle will probably be as accurate as the person behind it. I am not known for being a great shot. :(

Buddy had a BDL in 257 but lost it in a fire. We shot lots of "stuff" with it growing up. Good shooting caliber. I am and have always been a Ruger fan. You'll like it!

highgrit":3qw0vrvg said:

If you mean the pressure point at the forend of the stock that is there for a purpose. It dampens vibration and is an effective means of increasing accuracy.

Come on now 3way you don't believe that crap do you?? Every accurate rifle I have and most if not all custom rifle makers use a free floating barrel. I don't care what you do, wood warps and shrinks. Maybe spot on means different things to some folks. I looked around on the net a little and can't find any custom riflesmiths that build on the Ruger action. I wonder why??
:dunce:

The ruger I've been shooting the last few years is a rare one then. I double punched 4 of five shots a few nights back at 100 yds rested with hand loads. 2 ragged holes and one more 1/4" right. To be fair though it's got a timney trigger in it and has been bedded and crowned.

highgrit":2ekyki6w said:
Come on now 3way you don't believe that crap do you?? Every accurate rifle I have and most if not all custom rifle makers use a free floating barrel. I don't care what you do, wood warps and shrinks. Maybe spot on means different things to some folks. I looked around on the net a little and can't find any custom riflesmiths that build on the Ruger action. I wonder why??
With another 40 or 50 years you'll discover that some rifles like a bit of pressure at the forend, others want to be free floated and some just want the first 2-3 inches at the chamber bedded tight. My wifes M700 6mm has to have a lot of pressure at the forend, my old M700 308 wanted to be totally free floated. On the custom rifles I've built over the years (with blueprintd actions and match grade barrels) the only one that needed solid bedding was one with an 1 1/2 diameter barrel on a Mexican Mauser action. I always start with a little pressure at the forend and take it out if needed

highgrit":ckj0k915 said:

Do I believe a pressure point works absolutely in the right gun, right situation. Just proved it with a 300win mag in a very expensive mcmillan stock. Tried every load i could and couldn't get it to shoot . Stuck a folded matchbook under the last in of the stock and the group sucked down by 1/2 or better.

As far as Ruger actions no i would never buila a custom rifle on one

Latest posts