24D & Frost

Help Support CattleToday:

ClodHopper37869

Reaction score
Been sprayin 24d on pasture for buttercup most mornings when the wind is calm. This morning it was 31 here and frost, I didn't, but could I have sprayed on the frost?

I stand corrected

Herbicides can be applied at temperatures of 40°F to 60°F, but weeds may be killed slowly. When the temperature is below 60°F, absorption of herbicides such as glyphosate and translocation of herbicides such as 2,4-D are lower compared with applications at higher temperature; therefore, they act slowly.

With contact herbicides, it's best to spray when the target plants are actively growing, so nice warm days are best. Soil applied herbicides temps aren't much of an issue.

UT Extension says 3 consecutive days of 60+ temps. we've had that several times in the last 3 wks. UTE never says anything about over night lows. And the agent said to spray before you see them.

As long as it's warm enough for the plants to be growing. The plants are big enough to catch the herbicide a cool night is not going to hurt a thing.
I wouldn't spray with frost on the leaves simply because it makes sense to me that it might block the plant from taking in the 24 d

UT Extension says 3 consecutive days of 60+ temps. we've had that several times in the last 3 wks. UTE never says anything about over night lows. And the agent said to spray before you see them.
They have actually been up since last fall in our area and since you are close I'm sure there also. But we're tiny. I sprayed a few acres just before Thanksgiving as directed by our agent and will be able to see soon how well it worked.