2019 spring bull shopping done.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
I think they will work. Fleckvieh is for the bottom end of the commercial cows to give their steers a little more pop in the ring, and the Hereford is for my heifers.

96F.jpg

Video of 96F, there is another bull mixed in as well.
https://youtu.be/CcGre1S20oY

The 3/4 sister that sold for $34,000.
53399087-10161558968225441-3958083465894690816-o.jpg

MA-2F.jpg

Video of 2F
https://youtu.be/ez3U_IMdZOY

2F's Dam
BR-028-X-STARLET-20-C.jpg

Video of 2F's sire.
https://youtu.be/wl0nDEhrn_c

Nice bulls. I really didn't like the Hereford until I watched his video. Very nice thick calf. The pic didn't do him any favors.

Lazy M said:
Nice bulls. I really didn't like the Hereford until I watched his video. Very nice thick calf. The pic didn't do him any favors.

Yes, they took their photos and videos during the wicked cold weather and spending the extra time to get a good photo was a challenge without losing a finger to frostbite. I have been a big fan of his dam since she had her first calf and tried to buy his sire when he sold at auction 2 years ago, so I wasn't terribly apprehensive about the son's potential.

Lazy M said:

I thought the same. Amazing what pictures do and don't do.
Good looking bulls. I really like the Simmental, but I am biased.

Refreshing to see classic Fleck cattle. Love the cute tidy tiny tits on the 3/4 sib hfr. Agree with posters...video of the Hereford bull was redeeming. Very nice udder on the dam. Nitpicking...would like it more level but that aside, darned nice. And especially so considering the udder issues that have plagued the breed. Good picks Aaron!

The fleck bull almost makes me want to go back to FB Sims, but I like my solid colored calves too much to go back.
Might try one someday of some Angus cows.

You made a good pick, my bull buying adventure hasn't gone as smoothly. :lol:

wbvs58 said:
V nice Aaron. Seems like you were buying in the top section of the catalogue.

Ken

I got lucky on both accounts. The lowest priced Fleckvieh at that particular sale last year went for $8,000, most were in the $10-15k range. I was just going to watch the sale, never thought I would even have a chance to bid. For whatever reason, likely poor weather during sale day, the Flecks sold much more reasonable this year. I almost bought the top bull in the sale, which was a half brother to this one for $7k, but the bidding took off at last minute and I decided to drop out; that bull ended up at $10k, which if I was to only buy one bull this year, I would have bought. This Fleck bull was my 2nd pick and came in a little while later and managed to steal him for $5500.

In the Hereford's case, he was also my 2nd pick, as the top pick was a favorite for about 30 other guys and bidding was hot. I had reservations at stopping on the top bull at $11,500, but I did, and he went $15,500 to an operation in North Dakota. I had thought about partnering up with a buddy in Alberta to get him, but we still may have been short as the US/CAN exchange rate makes US buyer more competitive in pricing. But it was a rotten cold day, the day of the sale, so bargains were had as many never made it to the sale. This bull I bought should have been in the $9k region, but I got him for $6750.

My bull budget was $15k this year for 2 bulls and I am very glad I came well within it. Some years I don't. Since there is a little money left in the pot, I am going to watch one more sale this weekend and see if a bargain basement spare bull could be had. I never mind having too many bulls as a backup.

Well I thought I was done buying bulls. But started watching sale today that I bought previous bull and heifers from and it was bad. Bulls were phenomenal quality. I think the best set I have ever seen on offer from the ranch, but price-wise was a bloodbath. Felt bad for the seller. There are low sales, and then bad sales. A lot of 2 year olds, big, thick, stout, rugged bulls, went for base price, $3500. But again, commercial heifer price was right into the clouds. Straightbred Horned Hereford heifers went top dollar. Baldies and Brockles were hundred or two behind.

I got my yearling pick of the sale bought for 1/2 price (of what he should have been worth/what I have bid in past). I couldn't let him go for less than $3750.

duke.jpg

Good deal on the bull. I think we are going to see some lower prices here this year as the feeder market is just down. One of the bull sales we always go to has decided to not hold a sale this year. They have been doing it for 25 yrs? We have gotten 4 bulls from them in the past 10 years and still have 3. Good grass based genetics that have done well for us. Hope that you have a good spring, it is STILL RAINING here... nearly 3 x the normal YTD already. We had 2 inches snow then the rain the past 2 days. At least we don't get the sub -zero temps you get.... but temps are supposed to jump up today from the 30's the last 3 days to upper 60's this afternoon. Totally CRAZY temp swings.