2018 Ninth Calf - Cowboy Cut

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Born yesterday in the late evening. I saw her lay down. Went out about 30 minutes later and she was licking her calf.

Dam: Blaze - Flying B Cut Above Cow
Sire: Genex Cowboy Cut
Due: 9/9/2018
DOB: 9/7/2018
Gestation: 283 days
Weight:  83 pounds
Bull Calf

Interesting. As soon as the calf was licked, the cow laid down. The calf was going all around looking for the milk faucet. I went out, got the cow up, put down a pan of feed and the calf went right to nursing like he had been doing it for a week.

fcuhi.jpg

2qvcfsz.jpg

This was just taken this morning after a night of rain.
300qqon.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":1nwf2jxk said:
I do like your newest addition.

Thanks. I am very pleased with the crop. So far, I assisted on that 97 pound Broadway. The rest have come unassisted. And some of the cows are FAT with a capital F.

The other observation. This crop has been very vigorous. Lively. Full of energy. It goes without saying, my cows have great forage but I believe that my mineral program is really kicking into gear. I have Vitaferm ConceptAid in 4 locations on the farm. They have year around free access.

Gestation and BW numbers:
1. Broadway Heifer: 279, 97 lbs.
2. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 279, 78 lbs.
3. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 277, 70 lbs
4. HPF Optimizer Bull: 280, 88 lbs.
5. Cowboy Cut Bull: 282, 94 lbs.
6. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 278, 82 lbs.
7. Broadway Heifer: 281, 112 pounds.
8. Grandmaster Heifer: 280, 88 pounds.
9. Cowboy Cut Bull: 283, 83 pounds.

5 bulls, 4 heifers

Bright Raven":23os5d96 said:
Born yesterday in the late evening. I saw her lay down. Went out about 30 minutes later and she was licking her calf.

Bull Calf

300qqon.jpg
Pink nose = white rear feet. Just like Gimli.

Since John Wayne is not your favorite cowboy, who will you name him after?
Mongo from Blazing Saddles?

Son of Butch":dqdyh4ti said:
Bright Raven":dqdyh4ti said:

Bull Calf

300qqon.jpg

Crooked Face. That will be so easy to remember.

Ron why didn't you jump in and watch my back on Nesikep thread when he said his cows can over ride a LBW bull? Using good quality bulls that have proven EPD'S and DNA testing in your breeding decisions is a no guess work winner. Your cows are following EPD'S to a tee. And FSR must of told your cows they should be having baldie calves, and now the trends are even going as expected. Good job.

Bright Raven":20hfofhe said:
Son of Butch":20hfofhe said:
Bright Raven":20hfofhe said:

Bull Calf

300qqon.jpg

Crooked Face. That will be so easy to remember.

Yin Yang

True Grit Farms":3ahlzxr8 said:
Ron why didn't you jump in and watch my back on Nesikep thread when he said his cows can over ride a LBW bull? Using good quality bulls that have proven EPD'S and DNA testing in your breeding decisions is a no guess work winner. Your cows are following EPD'S to a tee. And FSR must of told your cows they should be having baldie calves, and now the trends are even going as expected. Good job.
Not my thread.

If someone wants to try it, find me the smallest, dinkiest calf throwing bull and I'll breed Vispa to him, any money says she's going to do 100+, and more than likely 120+ if it's a bull calf.

a month old
20180425_184617.jpg

No, she's not heavy bred here.
20180603_103929_HDR.jpg

Nesikep":3s2piouz said:
True Grit Farms":3s2piouz said:
Not my thread.

If someone wants to try it, find me the smallest, dinkiest calf throwing bull and I'll breed Vispa to him, any money says she's going to do 100+, and more than likely 120+ if it's a bull calf.

a month old
20180425_184617.jpg

No, she's not heavy bred here.
20180603_103929_HDR.jpg

I wondered what thread Vince was referring to. I tend to agree with both. What Vince is pointing out is that my BWs this year are generally reflecting the influence of the bull. For example, the 112 and 97 pound calves are both Broadway who has a CE of 4.0 and adds 3.5 pounds. On the other hand, Twister had a 94 pound calf bred to Cowboy. Twister will generally have more influence on BW than the bull.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":pv36h0fi said:
Ron, your cows calve EARLY - even bull calves. Love the crooked 1/2 blaze. I also like it when they are kinda "spider web" looking - you know, with points.

All nine have been early, including the bulls. I think because of the forage in the last trimester.

Nesi,
Try Leachman Above & Beyond(Red Angus)... it'll fall out looking like a drowned rabbit and hit the ground GROWING!

Latest posts