2015 prices

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
i was just looking at spring 2015 prices 2wt steers over 4 bucks a pound pairs 2500 to 3 grand plus, my question is have prices ever jumped way up like that in years past? i havent been around long enough to know.

kenny thomas":3sixsq9e said:
Prices have doubled from one year to the next but never got so high before. The bottom has dropped out of the prices also.

In our lifetime may never get that high again. Those high prices probably hurt more than they helped in the long run also.

kenny thomas":v25unw1i said:
Prices have doubled from one year to the next but never got so high before. The bottom has dropped out of the prices also.
so say in the 2000's did prices ever get to 2 bucks a pound on calves?

jltrent":38og8y0a said:
kenny thomas":38og8y0a said:

In our lifetime may never get that high again. Those high prices probably hurt more than they helped in the long run also.
i totally agree, my plan is if it does ever happen again i will sell everything ive got! then go to cutting hay for a few years and buy back in when the bottom falls out. those prices will probly never happen though

MtnCows93":1zaeeo3q said:
kenny thomas":1zaeeo3q said:
so say in the 2000's did prices ever get to 2 bucks a pound on calves?

Yes, for a time up here in 2002, steer calves weighing 350 lbs got to $2.

BSE cheated us out of one high in the cattle cycle in 2003. 2015 was lots of fun putting up infrastructure. The calves we bought that fall sure helped the next year's tax write offs. :(

They still sell steers here in Louisiana where I buy and sell
200-300lbs from $1.10/lb-$2.25/lb
300-400lbs from $1.05/lb-$2.15/lb
If you sell em young and they are perfect you can still get $2 a pound that was priced at the November 12th 2018 sale

Daughter and SIL sold their steers on Superior this summer with a base weight of 480 pounds they got well over $2.00. The same sale saw similar sized calves from the same area bring $2.25.

Dave":ljho2ut5 said:
Daughter and SIL sold their steers on Superior this summer with a base weight of 480 pounds they got well over $2.00. The same sale saw similar sized calves from the same area bring $2.25.
out here in the east we are lucky to get 1.40 for steers that weight. which i know dang well we will never see good prices again until they quit flooding the market with foreign beef and bring back country of origin stickers

I have bought calves costing over $3.00 and they made lots of money. I have give .50 and lost money too. Just gotta stay in through the good and the bad I guess.

And to think, most of those 3 grand cows are still standing in someone's pasture.

Most likely not the guy who payed 3 grand.

The cattle price cycle is not what is was. Tariffs, embargos, excessive rain events, fund money, computer trading, ect. have all had an effect. Seems like day to day volatility trumps a 10 to 12 year long price cycle.

kenny thomas":1sofx06r said:
skyhightree1":1sofx06r said:
kenny thomas":1sofx06r said:
Just gotta stay in through the good and the bad I guess.

Or stop the bleed and keep enough for tax purposes and to add aggravation to your life
I actually like that idea. Just enough to get away from the house.

It's great I have 11 I'm keeping hour to work them.. 100 bales a year to feed .. " in one place " multiple pastures to rotate . can move everything in 1 load I love it

I knew a guy (he has past) who when prices were high he sold all his calves. I mean 100% as in he kept no replacement heifers. He would also sell the older half of his cows. When prices dropped he kept way more replacements than normal wisdom called for because he built his herd back up with cheap heifers. This is on western range land which benefits from occasional years off to rest and rejuvenate. He did very well for himself in doing this. The cattle cycle isn't as easy to predict as it was some years back but there are signs a person can and should watch. The difficult part is selling when they are high. People think they will get another year. I know I am guilty of this myself.

Latest posts