2010 Weaned Calves (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
These are after pictures of some of our spring calves. http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63786

Hereford x red angus heifer
100_3997.jpg

Shorthorn x red angus heifer
55.jpg

Shorthorn x red angus steer
53.jpg

Shorthorn x red angus heifer
100_3965.jpg

Hereford/Limousin x red angus steer
51.jpg

2/B or not 2/B":3e9kkjya said:
Thank you, dun. There are two of them posted. Their mothers are half sisters.
If those are 2 different heifers I like them both

2/B or not 2/B":g5a3w3bp said:
Thank you, dun. There are two of them posted. Their mothers are half sisters.

As much as I like the second one, I really don't like the 1st one or the shorthornX steer for that matter.

Knersie, I agree with you that the second heifer is much better than the first. I'm not sure which steer you're talking about, the darker one? I don't care for him much either. His mother is shorthorn cow who is gentle and milks well, but otherwise doesn't have much going for her. We've had to pull both her calves and neither has been anything special. She's on the short list.

Nice 2B, I can't get a real good look at that herferd cross though. I like the second set of pics on that steer and the heifers are sweet! Love your country too.

I definitely like the second heifer better as well, though the second set of pictures of the first heifer are better... the steer looks pretty good as well

the ones you just got... the cow I can't judge well, but the heifer seems to be really thin necked, but has a nice topline

We have just 6 shorthorns now and from them we hope to keep the best SH x RA heifers in the future. There are a few other cows in the mix that we like for various reasons. They're not perfect but they're ours and there's great satisfaction in that. :nod:

Nesikep, none of the heifers are duplicates in this post. I'm a sucker and I like them all. As we run out of room for more, the best will stay and the others will rotate out. Hopefully that means our herd will just keep improving. In another thread 3 way mentioned how hard it is to "knock the chrome off a shorthorn." Our RA X SH calves have been solid red so far, no roans or RW calves yet, but hopefully next season. The variety is nice and makes it easier to tell them apart.

my bad in that case, I thought you had reposted a second picture of the first heifer

I would be slightly cautious about getting too much roan in there, because the buyers at the sale yard usually aren't too hot about it, if you can get a SH strain that is red/white, you would be better off in the long run I think.. don't get me wrong, I do like the roans as well, but a few extra bucks in the pocket is nice

telling all brown cows apart from each other at night when they've lost their ear tags is pretty impossible unless you know them well, so i appreciate a bit of variety as well...
if you like, here's pics of ours
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Rx7man/Moo/

Latest posts