2 yr old Hereford heifer small bag

Help Support CattleToday:

msvdra

Reaction score
I'm new to this post. Does anyone have ideas on a 2 year old Hereford heifer just calved 3 days ago with very small bag if any. Calf seems ok very small maybe 50 lbs. Doesn't seem like much milk at all but tried giving milk replacer (bottle)and calf wants nothing to do with it. Have never seen such a small bag on cow. Thanks.

Bag size is not necessarily an indication of lack of milk. It may be a few weeks before her milk production ramps up. Watch for the calf to spend a lot of time thumping her with its head, which indicates it wants more. Keep an eye on them and if the calf doesn't grow, consider creep feeding it and adding its mama to the cull list.

jkwilson":bs2efopp said:
Bag size is not necessarily an indication of lack of milk. It may be a few weeks before her milk production ramps up. Watch for the calf to spend a lot of time thumping her with its head, which indicates it wants more. Keep an eye on them and if the calf doesn't grow, consider creep feeding it and adding its mama to the cull list.

Thanks so much for replying, he seems to be content so will hope she does come in or that it is enough. Will keep a close eye on them.

I have one just like her, 2yr old first calf heifer. No bag, not much mothering instinct. She had a 62lb heifer calf.... I think she laid (or someone) on her, found her in the corner of the loafing shed.... only the third calf I've lost, but this one hurt...242 calf. Her wheels should be developed by next Tuesday's auction. :mad: The dead calf may not be her fault, but she is an easy cull.

Alan

Latest posts