2-4-d

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Do you need a special license to purchase 2-4-d, and do you purchase it on the internet and what does it cost?
I'd really appreciate some info.
Thank,s Kerley

Our local feed store sells it, no lisc required.a gallon of concentrate is 32 bucks, but there are different levels of concentrate also

kerley

Depending on what you are trying to control you may want to add a surfactant to the herbicide mix. A good surfactant can often made a significant difference to the outcome.

One problem with 2,4-d is that it isn;t real stable, i.e. doesn;t always stay where it's sprayed. As I understand it there are parts of the county, seems like cotton country that it may be illegal. Just what I've heard.

dun":1ro0wtp0 said:
One problem with 2,4-d is that it isn;t real stable, i.e. doesn;t always stay where it's sprayed. As I understand it there are parts of the county, seems like cotton country that it may be illegal. Just what I've heard.
Yep
it is volatile
I have heard from a member on here that it would be a hanging offense if they caught you with a jug of D in cotton country after a certain time of the yr

You can get 2-4D amine or
you can get 2-4D Low V Ester which isn't as volatile as the amine (doesn't translocate as bad)
as for price I pay $13 a gallon but that is in 30 gallon drums wish I could get it in the 275 gallon totes like we do glyphosate

In Texas you have to have a liscense to purchase and supposed to have a permit to spray. Course you can buy it all day long by the quart in most home and garden stores with no questions asked.

Angus Cowman":24fddkxh said:
dun":24fddkxh said:
Yep
it is volatile

That's the word

I have heard that just opening a container of 2 4 D in a greenhouse where tomatoes are being sprouted/started that the tomatoes will perish.

You have to have a license to by the concentrate here. The L&G stuff is watered down and overpriced and not worth buying. It can walk on you and it does do a fantastic job eradicating cotton. If you are just applying a little at a time its no big problem its just when you put out a good amount of it - say with a boomless sprayer where you can't control the droplet size - is where you will get into trouble or if you are putting it on a lot of acres fast.

In Arkansas you have to have a lic. to buy it and as long as you are spraying on your own feilds you don't need a applicator's lic. In the county i live in from april15 to sept.15 it is a big no no to spray.

Sounds like the walking of 2-4-d is simular to Paraquat. To avoid this apply to a dry leaf in a light breeze (1 to 2mph) so there is rapid drying to the leaf.

If you apply it like glyphosate to a wet leaf, or when there is likley to be moisture rising from the ground as in early morning or after a light rain etc, this increases the risk of a problem.

1wlimo":1zkh7m12 said:
Sounds like the walking of 2-4-d is simular to Paraquat. To avoid this apply to a dry leaf in a light breeze (1 to 2mph) so there is rapid drying to the leaf.

If you apply it like glyphosate to a wet leaf, or when there is likley to be moisture rising from the ground as in early morning or after a light rain etc, this increases the risk of a problem.
Dream on getting the wind to be that still around here.... :lol: :lol: :lol: but yes, calm winds is best...droplet size another. Best quit spraying or lower pressure if you see the fine mist rising rather than falling....

2,4-d amine isn't as good as low vol ester. I have had it rain 30 minutes after spraying and the LV ester worked but the amine didn't

"I have heard that just opening a container of 2 4 D in a greenhouse where tomatoes are being sprouted/started that the tomatoes will perish." you heard wrong, you have to get it on hte plant to kill it. It's a growth hormone which makes the plant grow so fast that the cells just explode and plant dies. been around since the forties about as safe as any chemical out there.

MasseyFerg":f708kj81 said:
2,4-d amine isn't as good as low vol ester. I have had it rain 30 minutes after spraying and the LV ester worked but the amine didn't

"I have heard that just opening a container of 2 4 D in a greenhouse where tomatoes are being sprouted/started that the tomatoes will perish." you heard wrong, you have to get it on hte plant to kill it. It's a growth hormone which makes the plant grow so fast that the cells just explode and plant dies. been around since the forties about as safe as any chemical out there.
That's where the volitility part comes in. The vapors of the stuff can kill plants just as quickly as the spray.

1982vett":r5zfvpou said:
In Texas you have to have a liscense to purchase and supposed to have a permit to spray. Course you can buy it all day long by the quart in most home and garden stores with no questions asked.

Actually, you need the license to purchase more than a quart. I found this out when I bought some Amine at TSC - they said I could buy a bunch of quart bottles, but no gallon jugs.

MasseyFerg":20tx1eab said:

2-4D can travel for miles and will travel every time the humidity rises
I can spray D and still smell it every morning when we are having heavy dew even if I am not in the same pasture that it was sprayed in

I don't remeber how far it traveled down in Arkansas but Jed can tell you they had a big cotton kill from someone using it a few yrs ago
they said you could see it move further everyday from the day before

Ruark":c8hn3krc said:
1982vett":c8hn3krc said:

Actually, you need the license to purchase more than a quart. I found this out when I bought some Amine at TSC - they said I could buy a bunch of quart bottles, but no gallon jugs.
yep

Latest posts