1st time growing out a calf for slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Hey all I have a few questions about getting a calf ready for processing. I plan to wean at 550 to 650 lbs. and slaughter at around 1100 lbs. Should you remove the animal from grazing completely and feed a "finishing ration"? if so how many days before processing should I remove them from grazing and what ingredients make a good "finishing ration"? Thanks.

I pull mine off grass 100 days prior to slaughter. Then feed a small amount of grain ration to start. I make my own ration. One half corn, 1 quarter barley, and 1 quarter oats. Increase grain weekly until they don't eat it all.

Depends on your taste. I personally like grain finished cattle. There is a new crazy of all grass fed cattle though. I don't like the grass fed cattle meat. I find it has a smell to it and I don't like the taste of it.

Sorry guys, I am a grassfed person. But I have jerseys that I feed out. Yes they get some grain, but I don't restrict pasture or hay. We also have fed out a couple of angus steers that were blind, 2 from birth one from bad pinkeye, and they too had pasture/hay and some grain. I think some of it depends on the grasses in the pastures as to the flavor of the beef. We will feed a heifer that was open and should have been preg, she'll go on grain with pasture/ hay this month for kill in January or Feb. Guess they will get some grain daily for about 75-90 days or so.

Latest posts