1973 Oliver

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
We got a 1973 Oliver 1755, over the years we have stuck some $$$ into it. it now has another hydraulic issue, debating whether to trade it, fix it, or sell it. When do you all say enough is enough on fixing a older tractor?

GMN

if its just a hydro pump seal.id prolly replace it.if i could do it myself.if you can work on tractors its pretty easy todo.

When I have had enough. When equipment become undependable it is time for a change. Unless you enjoy making the repairs and have the time and money to do it.

GMN":25iq3a43 said:
We got a 1973 Oliver 1755, over the years we have stuck some $$$ into it. it now has another hydraulic issue, debating whether to trade it, fix it, or sell it. When do you all say enough is enough on fixing a older tractor?

GMN

There is definitely a risk of diminishing returns on old tractor junk. I say buy a new one, take good care of it, and trade it when it depreciates out.

The last two new tractors I bought and sold brought the same money I paid for them.

One was a Kubota and the other was a JD.

I'm with Farmer Z. I run nothing but older equipment around here, and won't consider replacing it unless the reliability is truly getting poor. I've got an 1135 Massey thats broke down more than its running, so it gets one more chance and then it goes away. The only reason it gets one more chance is because its always something different breaking down, and its normal wear items, albeit pricy ones. I've also got an 1130 Massey that gives me minor grief about once a year, so it'll stay around for quite awhile. About the only other thing I'd consider is the cost of repair. If its going to cost more to fix it than I can buy another older replacement for, it'll see the bush or head off to the wrecker.

Rod

Farmer Z":37wsbl11 said:
I'll bet you can keep repairing that old Oliver for way less than a monthly payment.

This is very true, however with the rising cost of fuel, that has to be another consideration. Its a 85 hsp, its not our only one we also have a 7030 Allis Chalmers, over 100hsp, a Long 2510 about 50hsp, and a fixxer upper, use to be my Grandfathers, a 1935 Massey harris 101 Junior, which I use to rake with when we first started out, made for a long, slow, and hot day with the muffler blowing smoke in my face all day. Oh the fond memories.... ;-)

GMN

Latest posts