$1648 steers!

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
I sold my season's calves last Monday (11/10) at the OKC Stockyards.

My steers weighed I think about 730 pounds or so and brought $1648 each. The heifers were a little lighter, but still brought $1544 each. My dad or I have been selling calves dating back to the early 70's. This is the craziest cow prices I've ever seen. I'm not complaining mind you, but just am amazed at what I got for these calves... Hope it stays like this for years to come...

a lady rancher who works at a stockyard and writes a cattle market column in a newspaper here said "I'm getting black and blue from repeatedly pinching myself"
yep, prices are nice, and there's lots of ranchers out there with smiles on their faces... it's about time the other side of the coin showed..

I am sure at some point within a year and a half or sooner we will be seeing an average of $3.75 pr lb for 5wt steers

skyhightree1":h3tik97x said:
I am sure at some point within a year and a half or sooner we will be seeing an average of $3.75 pr lb for 5wt steers
That would be nice but I think that we are testing the limits of the market as it is now. That or the dollars going to be extremely weak more so than it is now

You know, I held back 1 heifer for a replacement addition to my herd. She would have sold for over $1500 had I put her in the trailer.

At these prices I think folks may think twice about holding calves back to grow the herd, which may continue to put pressure on the supply of calves to the market in the years ahead. From the supply side, things may continue to be tight. I'm just curious how much the demand will hold up at these prices or whether consumers will start seeking other meat alternatives.

Hook":1124la76 said:
skyhightree1":1124la76 said:
That would be nice but I think that we are testing the limits of the market as it is now. That or the dollars going to be extremely weak more so than it is now

I can agree with that.

OklaBrangusBreeder":1124la76 said:
You know, I held back 1 heifer for a replacement addition to my herd. She would have sold for over $1500 had I put her in the trailer.

At these prices I think folks may think twice about holding calves back to grow the herd, which may continue to put pressure on the supply of calves to the market in the years ahead. From the supply side, things may continue to be tight. I'm just curious how much the demand will hold up at these prices or whether consumers will start seeking other meat alternatives.

I still retain all heifers no matter the prices but then again I'm a hobby guy :lol2: true beef eaters love their beef .. I questioned the same thing but realize we as a society complain about pricing but still buy and eat expensive stuff.

I saw some green and good BWF steers weighing 405lbs bring 3.49 last week. That's 1413$ for a 405lb calf. That's the number that has amazed me the most so far.

Butcher bulls around here are going for about $1.45.. for a 2500lb animal that's a good bunch of money.. Butcher cows are about $1.20, which is 50% more than we got for 5wt heifers in '06. I wish I had a bit more land.. about double would be good for me as a 1 man show here

Nesikep":28nwq198 said:
Butcher bulls around here are going for about $1.45.. for a 2500lb animal that's a good bunch of money.. Butcher cows are about $1.20, which is 50% more than we got for 5wt heifers in '06. I wish I had a bit more land.. about double would be good for me as a 1 man show here

Get off that moldy $$$ you have any buy more land.

Ain't gonna happen around here.. any 100 acre ranch is a million bucks easy.. I'm going to need a few years of good cattle prices to work up a down payment. Don't know what Alberta prices are like, but then I'd have to deal with their blasted weather.

Nesikep":1n5prp5r said:
Ain't gonna happen around here.. any 100 acre ranch is a million bucks easy.. I'm going to need a few years of good cattle prices to work up a down payment. Don't know what Alberta prices are like, but then I'd have to deal with their blasted weather.

:lol2:

OklaBrangusBreeder":1h9de5yy said:
I sold my season's calves last Monday (11/10) at the OKC Stockyards.

My steers weighed I think about 730 pounds or so and brought $1648 each. The heifers were a little lighter, but still brought $1544 each. My dad or I have been selling calves dating back to the early 70's. This is the craziest cow prices I've ever seen. I'm not complaining mind you, but just am amazed at what I got for these calves... Hope it stays like this for years to come...

Yeah, That's right! I sold my steers the other day off the farm. They were blacks & BWF averaged 620# for $2.65 per pound = $ 1643.00 a head. B&G