14 Day CIDRS on cows. Anybody try it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Well kicking around the idea of weather or not to try to AI some of my cows this year. Not that I don't mind doing it, just getting to many irons in the fire I guess. I have heard good success with it on heifers. That is the protocal I used on my heifers, except I did heat detect. I do everything except the accuall breeding. So have to corridinate my schedual with his. Plus find help to syncronize. Plus it would free up some pasture for other uses, etc.

Have heard of some people trying it. The one I heard about 3rd hand, and it was a disaster. Heard a vet not too far away trying it. Tried to call, and leave a message. Never got a call. If your "experiminting" off label, your proably not going to tell everyone about it either.

Just wondering if anybody here had tried it & results. Ive looked into it somewhat. Ive been told for what ever reason it will work on heifers, but not cows. Cant remember the term. I realize even though gas & diesel engines are very similar, diesel don't work well in a gas engine. It sure would be sweet if you could do 14 day, mass breed, & get 70%. I know guys that get that or better on heifers.

Thanks.

We have used it for the past two years. I can't remember what our conception rate was last year but this year it looks like we are going to have a 75% conception rate this year. I do remember we liked the results enough to use it again.

CIDR in on day 0
CIDR out on day 14
9 days later a shot of GNRH
7 days later a shot of PG
breed 72 hours after shot of PG and give a shot of GNRH at breeding.

The drawback of the protocol is the number of times through the chute but it really works well on heifers.

gizmom

I have always used it on heifers, but never cows. I use the 5 day sync with the cows, but I set them all up, heifers and cows, so that they are all due for timed AI at the same time. I assume there is a reason the 14 day is not recommended on cows.

CIDR in heifers day 0
CIDR out of heifers day 14
CIDR in cows day 25
CIDR out and give shot of PG to Cows 10AM day 30
PG to Heifers 4PM day 30
2nd shot PG to cows 6PM day 30
A.I. both cows and heifers 10AM day 33 and give GNRH at same time

I actually start watching for heat day 31 and breed on the AM PM rule. Cows or heifers are bred 12 hours after standing heat.

I also thought about using CIDR, have bought a round of them but never used them. They are still in the office. We keep our heifers to breed in a nearby lot where they can be seen from the house and caught them all in heat in less than two weeks which was quicker than I got around the using the CIDR. Seven out of eight took so I've yet to use them. The one heifer who didn't breed came back in heat at about 7 1/2 months so she could have been bred. She was always a crazy heifer and when we were getting her in the chute she kicked a corral panel so hard it hit me along with her hoof and lifted me off the ground and sent me flying about 8' landing on my rear. My son was frantic that she had hurt me. She was still in the corral and I looked down the driveway and the truck was still hooked to the trailer. I thought if she gets out I may not get her back in again. I sent my son in to call and see how late the yards were receiving for the next day. He came out and said till 10:00 which gave us 2 hours to load her up and make the 45 minute trip. After we got her loaded up and were on our way I told my son I had had a discussion with God. He had to knock me on my ass this time to get rid of her but next he was going to have to hit me over the head to listen. I figured I had better listen. Glad I did because my ribs hurt for 3 weeks, I could only imagine how long a head injury would hurt.

I was told by some gurus not to use it on cows, I think it has something to do with the folecular waves in hefiers.
Why would you want to use it on cows? just more planning, its not a protocol for cows in the sire directories so id assume they know.

Yes, I know its not recomended. If someone didn't try to build a wheel, would we have gotten cars? Folecular waves, yes that is it. Like I said, I know some have played with it. Some good luck, others not. An association won't recomend anything until its 130% proven, which is good. I don't like being a geuney pig, but I don't mind experimenting a little! :lol:

The reason why, same as on the heifers. To tighten the group up, and get a better conception rate on a mass AI. Im a one man operation. It gets old lining up help to sort readies off 4-5 times morning/night. Then its usually muddy. Less stomping in the mud to sort the better. If I put CIDRS in a month ahead of breeding, I would still have the entire herd in the calving pasture, right next to the corrals. Otherwise I have to sort about 4 different ways for pastures. Then the cows use up the AI pasture for the first 2 weeks (sync week & week before that) of the season when the creek is up, so its just a mud hole. There are a few other reasons, mostly convience/time of year that would make it handier for me. Everybodies operation is different. I know its more trips through the chute. I don't mind the heat detecting, its mostly sorting off the the "hot" pairs from the others 4-5 times. Plus with my crop insurance adjusting its hard to donate 3-4 days of am/pm, moving pairs & heat detecting between morning & night. Where the whole idea of the 14 day CIDR is to group everything up tighter to get a good conception rate on a mass breed. I know you can mass breed on a 7. Tired it 2 years ago. I wasn't impressed with conception rate. There may have been a couple of outside factors that could of infulinced it. It would make me just have to pair out 3 groups of cows instead of 4 when I go to grass. Long story short, for the way my operation works....it would make less work!

Ive read on here & else where the debates between heat detecting/mass AI. Ive heard some awesome numbers locally about 14 day & mass of 85%. Some will claim b.s, but I know the guy. He is good, and Id believe him. Verdict on me doing it again is pending until calving starts. Guess for me lack of labor/being able to find it, easier pairing out to pastures, using pastures at a different time of year the 14 day would work sweet for me. I know you can mass on a 7 day also. Just I have to pair out the AI cows & keep them seperate for a couple of weeks. Ya I could bump up the calving on the AI's to solve some of that, but due other factors plus weather....I really don't want to calve in Feburary.

Like I say, I understand it not "approved", but just kicking tires.

Latest posts