12v Air Compressor

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
I never had much luck with the 12vdc units. I carried an air tank but never seemed to have enough. I am thinking a small 115vac compressor and a power inverter mounted on the truck. Just make sure you calculate the power needed for the compressor you get and then increase the inverter size by about 50%. It'c cheaper than those expensive "off-road" units too. I have seen 115vac compressors for $79.

They take a long time to fill a tire but they do work. We got one for our Gehl Round baler, the little thing you fill to adjust the bale density, our air tank didn't want to fill it to high enough pressure, the 12v worked well.

I made one out of the a/c compressor on my truck. Welded a tank out of 6"SS pipe, plumbed it with a cleaner/dryer and an oiler for the compressor and a pressure switch to control the whole thing. I've got about $60 in it, works great, just wish I had room for a bigger reserve tank, should have plumbed it into the pipe brush guard-it's Sch 80 pipe from the scrapyard and cost a whopping $10 to make!

cfpinz

cfpinz":2forayfm said:
I made one out of the a/c compressor on my truck. Welded a tank out of 6"SS pipe, plumbed it with a cleaner/dryer and an oiler for the compressor and a pressure switch to control the whole thing. I've got about $60 in it, works great, just wish I had room for a bigger reserve tank, should have plumbed it into the pipe brush guard-it's Sch 80 pipe from the scrapyard and cost a whopping $10 to make!

cfpinz

Get the old propane bottles that they don't refill anymore. They are excellent air tanks. You can pick up the left hand thread adapter for them at Home Depot or practically any hardware store. Put on a quick connect fitting and fill them direct off of your compressor at home. The 30 gallon bottles hold a whole bunch of air at 150 PSIG, enough to fill a large rear tractor tire. The propane refill stations have lots of those tanks around. The valves on them shut off really well so you lose no air like you do on the air tanks you buy from the store. Fill one of those tanks and you are good to go right up until the time you use it. A month after you fill it, it is still full. Best air tanks you can get. I don't even use the regular air tanks any more.

bb - Thanks. I have a friend who works for a propane dealer, I'll have to give him a call and see if they have any "trash". :lol:

cfpinz

A friend was using and old propane tank as an air tank. He put it in his car between the 2 seats. The tank exploded. He got injured and ten years later he still suffer from this accident. Before you use an old propane tank, think to the risks. They are not built for air pressure. But it's up to you.

I will not use any tank not designed for air,period.

Brother and his wife was driving a truck through Amarilo tex. back in 82.
A new long nose pete. The air tanks which are mounted under the passenger seat exoloded. It launched her through the windshield killing her. And embeded fiberglass all in his side and back,taking out all his hearing in his left ear and blew sleeper completely off the truck.
Having said this i'm very careful on what I use for an airtank.

I have friends who use propane to inflate farm tires, which I think is absoultlty insane.

Cal

Calman":w4edij6c said:
I have friends who use propane to inflate farm tires, which I think is absoultlty insane.
Cal

What could be his reasoning?

My reaseaning is: Propane under pressure is highly explosive.
When you pressure up a tire with propane gas you have a rolling form of highly explosive gass bomb.
I have seen first hand what the propane explosin will do.
Had to take classes on the dangers of propane before hauling it over road in an 18 wheeler.

When changing a tire filled with propane you have a metal to metal contact (tire changer & wheel) which could easily set of a spark, and propane under pressure.
Maby this is not heard of happining often but the potential is there. Like turning your back on your favorite pet bull.

Just my thoughts. Cal

Calman":2n6igz5k said:
My reaseaning is: Propane under pressure is highly explosive.
When you pressure up a tire with propane gas you have a rolling form of highly explosive gass bomb.
I have seen first hand what the propane explosin will do.
Had to take classes on the dangers of propane before hauling it over road in an 18 wheeler.

When changing a tire filled with propane you have a metal to metal contact (tire changer & wheel) which could easily set of a spark, and propane under pressure.
Maby this is not heard of happining often but the potential is there. Like turning your back on your favorite pet bull.

Just my thoughts. Cal

Ok, I understood why you thought it was insane.
What is your friends reasoning? Why would he put propane in a tire? Weight? Cooling? Had more ordred than the tank would hold. Im just stubborn, it's my propane, it's my tire, the guvment tain't tillin me ho ta do it altitude?

DJ dont mind ya asking at all. They tell me they can air up more tires on a bottle of propane than ya can with a portable air tank. I know that this has been done for years but I rekon i'm just a bit gunshy.

Maby I should rephrase that Insane part to just "aint skeered".

Cal

Look at one of the units that lets you pull a spark plug and use the piston as your compressor.
Used to come with the tractor tool kit on old fords :)

Latest posts