10ft Rotary Cutter

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I bought a tractor last fall that came with a 10ft cutter . Always have used mostly 4-6ft rotarty cutters . This one is a 10ft Field General with double gear boxes . Its got new blades on it and plently of tractor to turn it . Do the bigger cutters have rougher looking cuts? , I tried adjusting the top link and rear wheels for half the day . The front of cutter digs in and tears up ground just a little . Cuts horribly if its not dropped almost to ground , any advice?

BobbyLummus":9nygo20n said:
I bought a tractor last fall that came with a 10ft cutter . Always have used mostly 4-6ft rotarty cutters . This one is a 10ft Field General with double gear boxes . Its got new blades on it and plently of tractor to turn it . Do the bigger cutters have rougher looking cuts? , I tried adjusting the top link and rear wheels for half the day . The front of cutter digs in and tears up ground just a little . Cuts horribly if its not dropped almost to ground , any advice?
I assume it is 3 point by talking about the top link. Does it have the link that floats on the top link?

tom4018":392o5gzf said:
BobbyLummus":392o5gzf said:
I assume it is 3 point by talking about the top link. Does it have the link that floats on the top link?

That's the only thing I can think of.

If it doesn't have a floating link, it must need one. :?: :idea:

Increasing the RPM at the same ground speed helps with a smoother cut

dun":2d5mv8dk said:
Another thought, did the cutter come from someone that used it with that tractor? If not someone could have sold you a cutter with a 1000 rpm gear box and you have a 540 rpm pto tractor. Would not be the first time I saw that.

tom4018":1e7amur6 said:
dun":1e7amur6 said:
Another thought, did the cutter come from someone that used it with that tractor? If not someone could have sold you a cutter with a 1000 rpm gear box and you have a 540 rpm pto tractor. Would not be the first time I saw that.
The few 1000 rpm ptos I've seen have a different spline then the 540

Latest posts