10 inches of snow in Alabama?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Did I hear that right on the news? Y'all are getting 10 inches of snow in Alabama?
That's gotta be a mess.

When we get our first snow of the year here it seems about 1/3 the drivers have forgotten how to drive in snow.
I can only imagine the traffic problems snow creates in areas where nobody is experienced in driving in it.
Auto body repair shop owners are going to have a Merry Christmas!

Any of Y'all have any 'fun' snow experiences or stories to share?

Son of Butch":61ct92pa said:
Did I hear that right on the news? Y'all are getting 10 inches of snow in Alabama?
That's gotta be a mess.

When we get our first snow of the year here it seems about 1/3 the drivers have forgotten how to drive in snow.
I can only imagine the traffic problems snow creates in areas where nobody is experienced in driving in it.

Any of Y'all have any 'fun' snow experiences or stories to share?
not here thank God...they got a pretty good bit in B'ham...and on the mountain..north Ga.. Got a good one..

We didnt get any either. We usually dont get anything like that but the past couple years have been strange and we have got a good bit of snow. We dont even try to drive though. We shut everything down.

Craig Miller":2zg3otnm said:
We didnt get any either. We usually dont get anything like that but the past couple years have been strange and we have got a good bit of snow. We dont even try to drive though. We shut everything down.
It spit snow for about 30 minutes...and they let school out at 12..went into panic mode as usual, It melted when it hit the ground..

Just enough for my youngest daughter to make a snowman this morning. Just to put the size in perspective, The eyes, nose and buttons are chocolate chips.

zirlottkim":1lndmxue said:

Just enough for my youngest daughter to make a snowman this morning. Just to put the size in perspective, The eyes, nose and buttons are chocolate chips.

That one's not bad.
I saw some pics from Bryan/College Station of the ugliest 'snowmen' I ever saw.
Built by college kids I think....

greybeard":2srbyd9n said:
zirlottkim":2srbyd9n said:

That one's not bad.
I saw some pics from Bryan/College Station of the ugliest 'snowmen' I ever saw.
Built by college kids I think....
She is 10 and first snow she has seen. She had to scrap around to get up enough for that snowman but she was determined.

zirlottkim":ls4djizy said:

thank God that gulf moisture didn't make it this far..it worked right the opposite .were usually the ones that gets it...

Ideally, we love to have about a foot of snow on the ground. Easier on the tractor, and it is so much nicer for the cows. Nice on their feet, and it's much warmer to lay down in compared to frozen ground (cows that is - not me!!!)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3s5bdnar said:
Ideally, we love to have about a foot of snow on the ground. Easier on the tractor, and it is so much nicer for the cows. Nice on their feet, and it's much warmer to lay down in compared to frozen ground (cows that is - not me!!!)
I was shocked that a cow could live outside in your part of the county.

Mine never see the inside of a barn - except when they calve. Keep them in about 24-48 hours after calving, then out they go. Calves do have 3-sided sheds to get into out of the wind & weather. We put a 2nd cut dry bale in the shed for them to munch on & bed it down. Cheaper than trying to buy straw.
Our temperatures aren't the hard thing for the cattle, it's the raw dampness (high humidity) and wind. Same temp out west is much more pleasant because of the lack of humidity.

feeding cows in central Va. 12/9/2017
these were the neighbors cows...I went to get a bale for the heifers in my breeding group...
but his cows were out of hay and the only way I could go thru the gate was to feed his and close them in to the feeding area.

pdfangus":2p8t2j0v said:
feeding cows in central Va. 12/9/2017
these were the neighbors cows...I went to get a bale for the heifers in my breeding group...
but his cows were out of hay and the only way I could go thru the gate was to feed his and close them in to the feeding area.
I go thru that rigmarole just about every time I go thru a gate around here. Had to entice most of the cows into the working pen with a bucket of cubes yesterday and lock them in until I got a new round bale put out.

I no longer have to mess with that. I put in gravel pads & put the round feeders next to the fence. I never have to drive in where the cows are now, so no rutting up all the winter lots and no gates to mess with.
Our fence is electric, so we put a wooden post between the feeder & fence, and put a post on each side of the feeder to cradle it so cows don't push it into the fence.

neighboring place is rented land so no one wants to spend any money without a long term deal......
and previous owners children not willing to lock them selves in to long term deal....
so things continue to go down hill.....

Latest posts