Zactran vs Nuflor

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Always seems hard to get info on prices on rx drugs to compare what my vet charges me bcs there is no suggested retail price list.
This is what I pay for Zactran 100 ml $162 10cc sub q 550# steer $16.20 250 ml $385 10c = $15.40
What do you think of Zactran vs Nuflor?
What about other options?
What price do you pay?

Haven't bought any for a while but Valley Vet lists it for $199 for 100ml and $495 for 250ml. I can usually buy locally a little cheaper than from valley, so it sounds like you are getting a good deal.

I like zactran. When zactran first came out, I did a little experiment with zactran and Excede for mass treatment when processing. Alternated 1 excede, 1 zactran for the entire group and had each calf marked by treatment. Had 1 less zactran treated calf get sick than excede treated but still very few for either. Due to less expense, continue to use excede for mass treatment. Haven't used any nuflor in a couple of years. For anything that gets sick after processing, have been rotating between draxxin, zactran, and zuprevo. Use the same one for about a month then change to the next. So far this has worked with 99% responding well to treatment. Started this due to hearing of folks using the same product for a long time beginning to have trouble with poor treatment response. Another thing I have learned is if I don't get a sick calf pulled early enough and it is already sick as a dog, it gets, in addition to a dose of 1 of the big 3, a 2cc/100 dose of baytril. Seems the baytril works faster and lets the longer term products finish the job.

Old fashioned here I guess. Still use Micotil but need it so seldom have to go to the feed store and buy a needle and syringe. I think the bottle I have is about 5 years out of date.

Texas PaPaw":1azb9235 said:
Haven't bought any for a while but Valley Vet lists it for $199 for 100ml and $495 for 250ml. I can usually buy locally a little cheaper than from valley, so it sounds like you are getting a good deal.

I like zactran. When zactran first came out, I did a little experiment with zactran and Excede for mass treatment when processing. Alternated 1 excede, 1 zactran for the entire group and had each calf marked by treatment. Had 1 less zactran treated calf get sick than excede treated but still very few for either. Due to less expense, continue to use excede for mass treatment. Haven't used any nuflor in a couple of years. For anything that gets sick after processing, have been rotating between draxxin, zactran, and zuprevo. Use the same one for about a month then change to the next. So far this has worked with 99% responding well to treatment. Started this due to hearing of folks using the same product for a long time beginning to have trouble with poor treatment response. Another thing I have learned is if I don't get a sick calf pulled early enough and it is already sick as a dog, it gets, in addition to a dose of 1 of the big 3, a 2cc/100 dose of baytril. Seems the baytril works faster and lets the longer term products finish the job.

Latest posts