Distillers grain vs corn

Help Support CattleToday:

As far as the cost goes. You could be right, but it sure seems to stretch the hay dollar. I go they once a week. 1.5 hour round trip. I've been teleworking (I am eternally grateful of this) since the pan hit and I look forward to seeing the folks at the brewery. I get free beer and the owners even have helped on cattle drives. You do a cattle drive in southeastern coastal New Hampshire and you're practically a celebrity. (cops to control traffic, news coverage, etc..) We had to stop traffic across the busiest east west highway in southern NH for 7 minutes. You shoulda seen the traffic build up...
A 'hot ration' has nothing to do with the temperature of the ration. It is simply referring to the ratio of grain to forage. The more grain fed
equates to more fat in the meat. A word of caution, This business is hard enough to succeed at without inconveniencing the public.
Southern New Hampshire is not Cherry County Nebraska or the Oklahoma panhandle. There had to be expense incurred by the county
and possibly state authorities and loss of time by the traveling public to facilitate your Lonesome Dove moment. All things considered it
might be more prudent to transport the cattle. I wish you success with your cattle.

A 'hot ration' has nothing to do with the temperature of the ration. It is simply referring to the ratio of grain to forage. The more grain fed
equates to more fat in the meat. A word of caution, This business is hard enough to succeed at without inconveniencing the public.
Southern New Hampshire is not Cherry County Nebraska or the Oklahoma panhandle. There had to be expense incurred by the county
and possibly state authorities and loss of time by the traveling public to facilitate your Lonesome Dove moment. All things considered it
might be more prudent to transport the cattle. I wish you success with your cattle.
Aha. Thank you for the clarification.

Lonesome Dove, thats funny. Never seen it although I did watch A Fistfull of Dollars last night. It's free on you tube.

I hear you on the cattle drive. We didn't do it this year, but it was more due to my time invested. Just coordinating it was a pain. The owner of the farm loved it. He wants to do it every year and call the news crews. He's doing all for the PR, but he's just watching the show. The only services we used was two cops for half an hour. It was a short push.

As for the public, I seem to remember a good number of thumbs up's from the folks in their cars when they drove by. I think the reason is, as like you say, it is so rare in this area of the state/country to see something like that, they think it's kind of entertaining.

As for the folks bitchin' (I'm sure there were a few) I couldn't care less. I say go back to Boston if you don't like it. New Hampshire still considers themselves an Ag state, and sometimes ag causes a few hurdles. I've lived in this state since 1964 (albeit and hour northwest, which is alot more rural) and thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it just like everyone else on this planet, you included.

Good luck to you with your operation as well.

Aha. Thank you for the clarification.

Lonesome Dove, thats funny. Never seen it although I did watch A Fistfull of Dollars last night. It's free on you tube.

I hear you on the cattle drive. We didn't do it this year, but it was more due to my time invested. Just coordinating it was a pain. The owner of the farm loved it. He wants to do it every year and call the news crews. He's doing all for the PR, but he's just watching the show. The only services we used was two cops for half an hour. It was a short push.

As for the public, I seem to remember a good number of thumbs up's from the folks in their cars when they drove by. I think the reason is, as like you say, it is so rare in this area of the state/country to see something like that, they think it's kind of entertaining.

As for the folks bitchin' (I'm sure there were a few) I couldn't care less. I say go back to Boston if you don't like it. New Hampshire still considers themselves an Ag state, and sometimes ag causes a few hurdles. I've lived in this state since 1964 (albeit and hour northwest, which is alot more rural) and thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it just like everyone else on this planet, you included.

Good luck to you with your operation as well.
I'd think most people would be fascinated by seeing a cattle drive, there will always be people who complain but they'll complain about anything.

Latest posts