Wormer for fly control?

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry":2k38ucpd said:
I can't figure how treating cow A would increase the likelihood of resistant parasites in cow B unless you think that the treating cow A somehow partially treats cow B. I agree that would lead to faster development of resistance. As long as the treatment is applied at the appropriate dose and assuming it is not somehow transferred to the other cattle, I don't think this would happen.

That's my logic. If you treat cow A now and then a month later treat cow B - the flies will have a continual exposure to the chemical. Flies aren't going to just stay on one cow - they move around. And I do believe that other cows can "transfer" - case in point is calves. I've applied two ear tags to many cows before and their calves did not have flies either. I'm convinced that this is due to the calves spending time close to moma and rubbing on her. If you do the whole herd twice a year, the parasites are only exposed twice and only minimal fly generations are exposed (which should theoretically increase the drug's effecive life). If you treat cow A, then B, etc... then all cows/flies are exposed continually to a certain amount of the chemial.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.....Dead flies don't build an immunity to anything. You want to break the breeding cycle...flies move in, flies move out from one place to the next. Like a lot of other things, it helps if the neighbor treats his animals as well.

No what I mean is ivem is not a toxin like insectisides, it works different...I do not know if anything can become resistent, because the way it works.... come on school people, comment on ivem , The way it works....I use it spring and fall ....

Latest posts